How does it all happen? Ranks? Raw Marks? [Help] (1 Viewer)

sillyb3

HSC
N/A
I have a question... I'm ranking 1st in Standard English and so is another student. So who gets assigned the top mark then? I didn't think two people could come first I thought the board only accepts one 1st place ranking.
Also, does that mean if I completely screw up my exam I'll still get the top mark?

1. Your school submits your internal marks

2. You do the external HSC

3. Highest raw external HSC mark in your cohort becomes the ceiling (highest possible mark) for the your cohort's internal marks in that subject

4. Likewise, the lowest raw external HSC mark becomes the floor (lowest possible mark) for your cohort's internal marks in that subject

5. Rank 1 gets assigned the ceiling mark as his moderated assessment mark (MAM), and the lowest rank gets the floor mark. Everyone in between's MAM gets moderated via the difference in submitted internal marks between adjacent ranks.

6. Your external HSC mark and your MAM is aligned--your mark in a subject gets exponentially increased the higher your percentile (mark compared to the rest of the state), and inversely, exponentially decreases the more you go below 50th or so percentile.

7. Your aligned external mark is averaged with your aligned internal MAM

8. The end result is your HSC mark

e.g. if you get a MAM of 70 and an aligned external of 90, you'd pretty much get 80 as your HSC mark.

As for your ATAR, there's what, 60 people per 0.05 increment?

Therefore the ATAR is pretty much a rank. The higher your final HSC mark is in comparison to the state, the higher your ATAR is. People are put into an ATAR increment until it is filled and this continues until all year 12 uni applicants are assigned an ATAR. People who get <30 ATAR are given a star (aka a mystery mark) for trying at least.

Here's the BoS page if you still need further clarification:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/understanding.html

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a question... I'm ranking 1st in Standard English and so is another student. So who gets assigned the top mark then? I didn't think two people could come first I thought the board only accepts one 1st place ranking.
Also, does that mean if I completely screw up my exam I'll still get the top mark?
If you were submitted as a tie, it'll be average of top two scores. You will both get the top averaged two exam marks as our assessment mark, you always get you exam mark as you exam mark, unless misadventure makes it not count etc.

NBGHHS

HSC
so lets be clear on this.
I'm coming first in basically all my subjects.
From what im getting from all this is that, regardless of how well i do in hsc, im going to get a top mark anyway?
I'm confused

Maddi295

HSC
I do maths ext 2, eng adv, french continuers, ext french, bio and legal studies. Is scaling good for those?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)