How does French Beginners scale in the HSC? (1 Viewer)

stephaniebonnie

HSC
I really want to do it,
but I've been having second thoughts -
if it's anything as basic as what you learn in yr 9-10 in French,
then it can't possibly scale well right?
Just wondering
Merci :)

Harry Bannister

HSC
Hey French continuers and extension scale well, but you have to understand french well in order to get good marks.
I did an exchange in year 10 for 3 months and I learnt French.
If you speak well, then you get good marks because most people learning French are only learning it at school at a more or less basic level.

stephaniebonnie

HSC
Thank you
unfortunately I don't (and wouldn't really want to) qualify for French Continuers because I only took it in year 9, then dropped it, so i was considering taking up the Beginners course.
It doesn't seem my school offers it though, so i don't need to worry.
I might just take up an afternoon class :)

steve hanley

HSC
Hello
I'd never done french before i started year 11 so I did the beginners course and it's so worth it. It's not basic stuff i mean it starts off easy but then you go on to learn conditional and future tense and it gets quite difficult and it scales well if you do well like 80 +. Anyway i would recommend doing it if you can all my friends wish they had taken it also

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
I did French Beginners for HSC '06. Both our deputy principle & French teacher was telling us that with this course, you gotta do really well to not get affected by scaling. Cos it's scaled down unlike Extension/Continuers courses. So basically, the better you do, the less scaling will affect your mark. Whereas, the worse you do, the more negatively affected scaling will be - it's essentially like a very steep bellcurve.

Basically, our mini-class of 4 was reminded that if we were aiming for a great mark at the end of it all, we needed to get a raw mark of 90's+.

Personally, I did French as an elective language in Year 8 (never listened in class) so by the time I restarted and focussed in Year 11 doing Beginners, I didn't remember that much. But we had awesome teachers and learnt a looooottt more than what was expected so it turned out great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)