How do you.... (1 Viewer)

Knights_chick

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to this site and I just want to know how does everyone memorise there essays?? For English Advanced we have to try and remember 4 essays, what the??
Also, when you analyse something, like a book or a film, do you pu that into your essay as well or do you do something else with it?? My friend needs this to be answered quick, lol

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Iluvtheknights said:
Hey Everyone,
I'm new to this site and I just want to know how does everyone memorise there essays?? For English Advanced we have to try and remember 4 essays, what the??
Also, when you analyse something, like a book or a film, do you pu that into your essay as well or do you do something else with it?? My friend needs this to be answered quick, lol

if you studied Systematically through the whole year you would not be in this Predicament.

Kulazzi

HSC
Iluvtheknights said:
Hey Everyone,
To memorise essays, you write key points in each paragraph and memorise the quotes ur gonna use. Or you can record it on tape, like some people do, and keep listening to it over and over.

When analysing the book/film and putting it in ur essay, it depends whether its part of the question. Like it might say "blah blah blah and refer to two sources of text you have studied". Then it's most probably saying to use the film/book.

santaslayer

HSC
I do it the badass way if I have heaps of time. I memorise it word for word. I usually do this by remembering sentence by sentence until I go through the whole thing.
If I'm running out of time then I usually memorise the main points within the essay and read it through a couple of times. I can usually reproduce a similar essay by then.

I havn't done this for a long time because I don't do the HSC no more....LoLz...:p

Good luck. :)

T

timbk2

when i did my hsc (3 years ago) .. i managed to memorise all 3 essays pretty much line by line.

i practiced writing it so many times throughout the year, it just stuck with me.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
NEVER memorize an entire essay - you have no idea what the question will be, and could be caught off guard.

Instead, I memorize key points and quotes. Think of them as 'bricks' - constructing the essay is like building a wall. The bricks stay the same (ie; the 'gist', the general points), but the mortar (how you link the ideas and quotes together) changes.

T

timbk2

hfis said:
NEVER memorize an entire essay - you have no idea what the question will be, and could be caught off guard.

Instead, I memorize key points and quotes. Think of them as 'bricks' - constructing the essay is like building a wall. The bricks stay the same (ie; the 'gist', the general points), but the mortar (how you link the ideas and quotes together) changes.
it was a generic essay which answers pretty much anything they can throw at you. Just had to shape it around the actual essay question and it was fine. worked for me.

but yea, make sure you know the text ur gonan write about and the points your gonna present on that text

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Donshe said:
Hey moron. 9 days from the HSC, no one wants to hear your preaching of that sort. So shut it.

Anyway, I have always gone in with a memorised essay, its alright if you can manipulate it. Takes a minute or two, but once I figure out the angle I'm going to take, its just a matter of regurgitating.

hey retard, i was expressing my opinion which i am entitled to.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Donshe said:
Listen dickhead.

You are not in Year 12. You do not have 9 days till the HSC.

You are not in the "predicament" many 04'ers are in.

You do not know what is going through our minds.

So I tell you what, take that opinion of yours and keep it in your head for another year, exactly another year. Then open your mouth again on 9/10/2005

:)

LOL...mate no need to get all worked up about it... I am not trying to diss you or anyone in year 12. it just amazes me how people have whole year to study but leave thier studying till the last few days...and then have a winge about it all.

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
i love you donshe

but only cos your right

zahid, shut up

Last edited:

cameron0110

HSC
Well to sort of try and get back on topic... my advice is to write it out heaps of times, its what I did for the trials and its what I'm doing for the HSC. If possible try and learn quotes, techniques and how they relate rather than an essay word for word because there have been some very dodgy HSC questions but if you are good enough at manipulating things it shouldn't be a major problem. SO write and write... then when u feel like you've learned it well enough, write it some more.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
zahid said:
LOL...mate no need to get all worked up about it... I am not trying to diss you or anyone in year 12. it just amazes me how people have whole year to study but leave thier studying till the last few days...and then have a winge about it all.
dude...no matter what, you'll probably end up kinda like us...what you say now, a year before, can be the total opposite to what you do next year (noone wants to be a complete nerd!)

grimreaper

HSC
I'm just memorising 4 essays for english.. it improved my mark in the trial, and its easy to just shape a memorised essay to a particular question

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
i think the fact is, noone will ever really feel *ready* for the HSC, but alas, it is aroudn the corner

oh and i memorise essays (not word for word) by reading mine over and over and over like a speech, it eventually sticks in my head. Then i type up the essay skeleton for my responses, with quotes in italic and techniques in bold. I should work on manipulation skills

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
I dunno where my other section on this topic is but please DO NOT MEMORISE AND TRY TO ADAPT ESSAYS! Read the official board of studies site for more details but omg the worst thing u can do is memorise. If you are familiar with ur texts to the point where u have memorised them you are in a much better situation than trying to replicate an answer under exam conditions in a strict time constraint. Goodluck :D

mack

Banned
HSC
Well they can only test you on whats in the syllabus, so you can prepare for it. The trick is shaping your information to meet the question.

cameron0110

HSC
nick1048 said:
I dunno where my other section on this topic is but please DO NOT MEMORISE AND TRY TO ADAPT ESSAYS! Read the official board of studies site for more details but omg the worst thing u can do is memorise. If you are familiar with ur texts to the point where u have memorised them you are in a much better situation than trying to replicate an answer under exam conditions in a strict time constraint. Goodluck :D
I reckon it is actually easier to get within the time limit with a prepared essay because mine are all prepared to be roughly 37-38 minutes, allowing 2 mins for adapting to the question and adding in links and things like that. If I was just operating based on my knowledge of the texts, u run the risk of writing too much on one text and then running out of time for others especially in my Mod C essay which is like 2 eps of Frontline and 3 related texts. Plus u know what u have to work into every essay anyway because in Mod A- an intertextual study of contexts or whatever its called, its obvious u have to refer to contexts and then how that is shown. So u can have a fairly good prepared response, and if u are good enough at manipulating it then u can get away with it. If u are incapable of thinking and just write it down word for word then the prepared response doesn't work but then again neither would the other way.

Just remember... thought is the enemy of english.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)