How do you write a feature article. (1 Viewer)

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
Please fellow BOSer's I need your assitance on the structure of how to write a feature article. I have searched google and have found the content unhelpful. It gives tips on how to make a good feature article but does not explain what one is. I have a rough idea, but am unsure.

Any help would be appreciated. The feature article I have to write can easily be done in an essay form, but in the feature article form stumps me :confused: .

WBD

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Did a quick search and found this old thread that we both posted in, you may find it of use again. That's all I could find.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Tis brief because its late:

Feature Article = Essay with Personality - (ie laid back, witty, targetting a specific audience)

Unlike the essay, a feature article has the ability to say things that are specific to today's audience. eg: The book is as ground breaking to the romance genre as season six of Big Brother is to us.

(not witty or whatever, but you get my drift).

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
uic is right, a feature article contains more personality than the essay - its usually designed to entertain/provoke etc.

You should be aiming to use language that is far more conversational(though still with a formal undertone), this is done by being witty or inserting a reference to a modern day event and even using a different set of words. That said, don't over do it, as using toilet humour won't go down well and as already said, some formality is expected.

You also can have the prospect of headlines - statements that draw the eye to your topic. Also, with most of the feature articles I've seen the paragraphs aren't as bulky as some essays so you might want to make things a bit more streamlined.(doesn't mean you do less though, just arrange it a bit more 'conveniently' to the eye)

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
WouldbeDoctor said:
Please fellow BOSer's I need your assitance on the structure of how to write a feature article. I have searched google and have found the content unhelpful. It gives tips on how to make a good feature article but does not explain what one is. I have a rough idea, but am unsure.
You do not need to know what a feature article is, that's not what the BoardOS wants. And you came looking for HOW to write a feature article in the first place anyways :p

Keep in mind that no REAL newspaper editor/journalist will have to write the crap you're trying to write.

Still, good luck...

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
P_Dilemma said:
You do not need to know what a feature article is, that's not what the BoardOS wants. And you came looking for HOW to write a feature article in the first place anyways :p

Keep in mind that no REAL newspaper editor/journalist will have to write the crap you're trying to write.

Still, good luck...
Yes, I realised that... I understand in subject like maths, you don't have to know what to do, as long as you can do it, but you if they ask you to explain something your gone. I wanted to know what the features of one, so it could help me on HOW to write one. I know its got a headline, a picture, intro-, etc, I am just unfarmliar with all the features. I was looking for a school style feature article.

btw, i've already handed it in and it was very essay like , I will let u know what I got. :/

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
WouldbeDoctor said:
Yes, I realised that... I understand in subject like maths, you don't have to know what to do, as long as you can do it, but you if they ask you to explain something your gone. I wanted to know what the features of one, so it could help me on HOW to write one. I know its got a headline, a picture, intro-, etc, I am just unfarmliar with all the features. I was looking for a school style feature article.

btw, i've already handed it in and it was very essay like , I will let u know what I got. :/

Explain? Haha. They wont. "Don't explain, do" is the typica HSC philosophy nowadays...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)