How do you take notes for Law? (1 Viewer)

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I have read around the internet and it seems that law is a rather note-intensive subject, and I am curious to hear from current law students as to how they take notes, organise them etc. I am also interested to hear from impending students on what they plan to do.

I've been trying to develop a note-taking system that works for me for a few years, and I've learned that I absorb information much better when I write it out, as opposed to typing it. I plan to have a notebook for each subject, where I will do basically all seminar work, reading notes etc. Then I plan to use my iphone/ipad to scan the pages (I will use whitelines link books) into Evernote, so I always have a back up copy in case something catastrophic happens to my books (like leaving it on the train or something, which I've done before). I am drawn to this digital-analogue combo because I appreciate the accessibility of being able to look up notes on computer/ipad/iphone quickly.

Also, having a master outline for each subject is very important for exams, and I've read about people going a little spastic and OCD with Microsoft OneNote; is it a good idea to keep a master outline with it, or some other program like Word? Has anybody had any experience with these programs in regards to law notes? Do you find yourself slacking off on your digital notes as things get busier? How do YOU go about keeping an outline?

I am looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
For me, I learn a lot more when I hand write my notes compared to when I type them. However, I rarely do this because it can be difficult to keep up in lectures so I almost never take down notes using pen/paper. In lectures I just take down notes (using a laptop) as the lecturer covers the content without formatting it in a particular way.

After a few weeks I then go through the notes I have and arrange them in a way that would prep me for the exam. If the exam is a problem scenario then my notes would be a scaffold of how to answer problem questions. If the exam is policy based then I would arrange them into topics, highlight key things and even jot down notes if another topic is related.

I don't really do a master outline for my notes. I do write up a contents page and even if sometimes a flowchart to see how the whole course links up.

I think you will have to find out for yourself. Everyone learns a bit differently and so there is really no correct way of taking notes.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
For me, I learn a lot more when I hand write my notes compared to when I type them. However, I rarely do this because it can be difficult to keep up in lectures so I almost never take down notes using pen/paper. In lectures I just take down notes (using a laptop) as the lecturer covers the content without formatting it in a particular way.

After a few weeks I then go through the notes I have and arrange them in a way that would prep me for the exam. If the exam is a problem scenario then my notes would be a scaffold of how to answer problem questions. If the exam is policy based then I would arrange them into topics, highlight key things and even jot down notes if another topic is related.

I don't really do a master outline for my notes. I do write up a contents page and even if sometimes a flowchart to see how the whole course links up.

I think you will have to find out for yourself. Everyone learns a bit differently and so there is really no correct way of taking notes.
+ 1 - I've only completed my first year of law, and so far my method is to make detailed notes of your readings before class (will depend on how much available time you have), and then modify them according to what is said in your lectures (add points that you've missed, or delete information that isn't necessary). Periodically, like Trans4M said, it's a good idea to summarise your massive stack of notes into several pages (structured to answered problem questions etc). For policy questions, what I like to do is brainstorm all ideas and group them according to themes. And yes, like Trans4M said, it's a learning experience.

Last edited:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Some people I've met made dot point summaries of every article and categorised them under themes/concepts that would likely come up as questions (when I say themes/concepts I really just mean topics). I think this is a good way of doing it. Personally, I didn't really make notes, just read stuff and endeavoured to understand it.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Take notes off other people during stuvac.
this! find a good group of people that you can get along with, that are smart, etc... and share your notes...

keep away from laptops, ipads, etc... because Internet and procrastination... I use a notepad...

Last edited:

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Bump - anybody else?

And btw, I don't condone using somebody else's notes, I hate leeches. -_- Besides, I want to do the best I can, and the only way that is going to happen is if I write my notes myself.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Bump - anybody else?

And btw, I don't condone using somebody else's notes, I hate leeches. -_- Besides, I want to do the best I can, and the only way that is going to happen is if I write my notes myself.
you don't "use" someone else's notes, you share your notes with other with study sessions... you will find law extremely difficult if you try and gun it alone... Having a good group of people around you (you included), to share ideas and how to go about things is an excellent way to figure out what you have missed... You're not being a leech by using other peoples notes, you share your notes with others as well and go through ideas... makes it a hell of a lot more easier... It is a really good way to connect and meet new people as well... (grown to be really, really good friends with a few of my study buddies)

As for note taking, don't just recite lecture slides in your notepad (you can download those)... Listen out for case names (try and spell them the best way you can, google them later and get the spelling right; some of the case names are unbelievable difficult to spell :haha:); listen out for legislation, things that the teacher seems to be repeating 10 times over and actual facts that seem relevant...

Also, do as much of the prescribed readings as possible (it is probably impossible to get through them all)... It makes it a hell of a lot more easier to follow in the lectures and makes you not look like a bit of an idiot...

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Sharing notes is a great way to learn. You be amazed how often you miss out on something in your notes but your friends might have it in theirs. I use my friend's notes as sort for check list to ensure I have everything and confirm with them if I have something but they don't.

Find someone who is willing to share with you and actually does their work. Don't share with people who don't contribute and also pull your weight if you do share notes.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Oh yeah, sharing notes I have no issue, but what I read in those posts was basically do basically stuff all until stuvac and take notes from people that have actually made an effort. Having study buddies is one of the things I most look forward to in law school :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)