• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how do you study for the sc? (1 Viewer)

ItsColinoOo0o

HSC
As School Certificate Trials are coming up at my school. I am pretty stressed and confused on how and what I am meant to do to achieve the maximum school certificate result....

SERIOUSLY like how the hell are you meant to study for science....wtf? sighh

Any tips, advice or even helpful links to resources which may help me?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
my advice is just do a past paper for each subject and look over your notes, thats it, honestly. Two past papers if you're really freaked.

cHoke-meh

HSC
Summarise my notes from class? That's all i ever do really... i guess i should change habits for next year...

ItsColinoOo0o

HSC
cHoke-meh said:
Summarise my notes from class? That's all i ever do really... i guess i should change habits for next year...
looking back upon yr 10 its like i bludged the whole year. and just when im about to "buckle up"
and try to achieve my best, I can't.

-tal-

HSC
For science, make sure you're good at the general skills ie graphing, forming conclusions, writing experiments.

Also, knowing the basic concepts such as superposition are good and concepts they involve applying. Knowledge based questions aren't really the big mark ones.

Know some future prospects for the environment. They love testing these types of questions for the longer range responses (I use longer range loosely). Know things such as LEDs, greenhouse emissions, and if they test you on environmental issues (eg ozone hole, grrenhouse effect, global warming) make sure you mention these words: carbon neutral, renewable

History, is a very short test. Maximum you'll probably ned to write for one response is 2 pages. And make sure you know your Indochinese refugees/women/whatever you did well, Gough Whitlam (or relevant historical figure). Also, for multiple choice, study the smaller details, such as why Petrov blah blah blah and dates of certain events (ie year things occurred)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
ItsColinoOo0o said:
looking back upon yr 10 its like i bludged the whole year. and just when im about to "buckle up"
Aw, its ok, same here and i still did good. Look in your text books and ask your teachers for help. Im sure you have handouts, they should also be really helpful. Have you tried doing any past paperrs yet?

cHoke-meh

HSC
ItsColinoOo0o said:
Haha, xD i'm exactly the same. But i guess i kinda listened in class, if only to help my friends when they're in trouble.

ItsColinoOo0o

HSC
-may-cat- said:
Aw, its ok, same here and i still did good. Look in your text books and ask your teachers for help. Im sure you have handouts, they should also be really helpful. Have you tried doing any past paperrs yet?
i had a look around on the Board of studies site and they appeared to only have the answers to multiple choice =[

ItsColinoOo0o

HSC
cHoke-meh said:
Haha, xD i'm exactly the same. But i guess i kinda listened in class, if only to help my friends when they're in trouble.
lol talking about friends.....

sigh faggots all havent started studying yet and they are talking shti about "study groups" and told me to go . i just have a feeling that its gonan be teh biggest waste of time ever

-tal-

HSC
ItsColinoOo0o said:
Just coz I feel sorry for you, I'll upload my year 10 notes. When you're in year 11, do your own. I won't help again.

If anyone else wants to use/see these, you're welcome to.

First 2 files are science, other 3 are history. Plagiarise and I'll kick your ass.

ItsColinoOo0o

HSC
-tal- said:
For science, make sure you're good at the general skills ie graphing, forming conclusions, writing experiments.

Also, knowing the basic concepts such as superposition are good and concepts they involve applying. Knowledge based questions aren't really the big mark ones.

Know some future prospects for the environment. They love testing these types of questions for the longer range responses (I use longer range loosely). Know things such as LEDs, greenhouse emissions, and if they test you on environmental issues (eg ozone hole, grrenhouse effect, global warming) make sure you mention these words: carbon neutral, renewable

History, is a very short test. Maximum you'll probably ned to write for one response is 2 pages. And make sure you know your Indochinese refugees/women/whatever you did well, Gough Whitlam (or relevant historical figure). Also, for multiple choice, study the smaller details, such as why Petrov blah blah blah and dates of certain events (ie year things occurred)

Thats what im worried about. If knowledge based questions is not what they are asking. How am i meant to revise?

This is like the exact thing with English..

ItsColinoOo0o

HSC
-tal- said:
Just coz I feel sorry for you, I'll upload my year 10 notes. When you're in year 11, do your own. I won't help again.

If anyone else wants to use/see these, you're welcome to.

First 2 files are science, other 3 are history. Plagiarise and I'll kick your ass.
OMG <33333
THANKS alot

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
ItsColinoOo0o said:
i had a look around on the Board of studies site and they appeared to only have the answers to multiple choice =[
What were you looking for, past papers? if yes, trust me, they are there and they should have notes from the marking centre

-tal-

HSC
ItsColinoOo0o said:
OMG <33333
THANKS alot
lol, it's ok. No biggie. If I do say so myself, they're awesome notes.

For English, make sure you can pick up techniques well ie simile, metaphor, juxtaposition. However, if you're given a poem/story to analyse, and can't find the technique use prose. It'll become your new favourite technique.

On the 5 mark questions for English, you're usually asked for an effect. Ask yourself why such and such technique shows whatever effect. Always ask why. And have a story prepared, it's one of the most common text types to be asked. So prepare a story, with a proper conclusion that you can write in an hour or so.

For story writing, DO NOT cram too much content. Choose an aspect of the character/situation you want to develop and go from there. And I mean it. Pick ONLY one.

ItsColinoOo0o

HSC
-tal- said:
lol, it's ok. No biggie. If I do say so myself, they're awesome notes.

For English, make sure you can pick up techniques well ie simile, metaphor, juxtaposition. However, if you're given a poem/story to analyse, and can't find the technique use prose. It'll become your new favourite technique.

On the 5 mark questions for English, you're usually asked for an effect. Ask yourself why such and such technique shows whatever effect. Always ask why. And have a story prepared, it's one of the most common text types to be asked. So prepare a story, with a proper conclusion that you can write in an hour or so.

For story writing, DO NOT cram too much content. Choose an aspect of the character/situation you want to develop and go from there. And I mean it. Pick ONLY one.

lol prose?
i just wikipedia-ed it and it said something about resembling daily speech

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
ItsColinoOo0o said:
mm there is no answers except for multiple choice
mm so what? do them then get your teacher to check, if you have the answers infront of you theres no way you'll get anything out of doing them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)