How do you study for math? (1 Viewer)

sleepybearx

HSC
For me, math has been one of those subjects that I don't really like, but manage to do pretty well in it.
From years 8-10 I have had trouble studying for math...
All my friends just manage to do so well, by just practising questions, however, I just can't absorb all the information by just sitting there for 3 hours just doing questions. I find it extremely boring, and quite overwhelming due to its repetition. Instead I make really simple notes, and basically just go over the main concepts the night before and then go to bed.
The problem is that I COULD be achieving higher, and I know I WANT to however I just feel as if I lost all my confidence in math...
I think practising questions would help re enforce my knowledge and actually help prepare for the exam... but I JUST CAN'T DO IT!??!

I'm kind of the person that wants to rush through it and get everything done and over with... but I know reality is that you can't just do that if you want good marks...

A little about me...
  • I haven't been doing the homework the teacher sets in class for almost 2 years... mainly because I never saw the need to waste time and do it when you already knew the main concept and also I didn't like the idea of just sitting there regurgitating the answers all the time.
  • I don't go to any math tutor... I used to... But I quit as they were unhelpful as they just revised what I learnt from school and gave me sheets and then never checked my homework ever again.

I'm really worried for senior years... I know this pattern of study is quite horrible and I wish I can improve but math is such a difficulty to actually PRACTISE for...

I'm especially worried as I already PICKED ext-1 math...
And I'm feeling quite disheartened.
Do you guys have any tips on how to boost motivation for math
How you guys study
What methods you do...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
mainly because I never saw the need to waste time and do it when you already knew the main concept and also I didn't like the idea of just sitting there regurgitating the answers all the time.
If you already know the concepts, you should be getting 100%, correct?

And you're not.

Which means you don't understand the concepts fully enough to apply them in all possible applications.

Therefore you do the questions.

starshine02

HSC
Omg that was me in junior high. very rarely did i do my maths homework until the very end of year 10. i got myself motivated to do my homework because i got a new pretty book and i couldn't bear to waste my book lol. i think doing homework is actually quite beneficial cos you get to know the kinds of questions you may be asked in an exam.

sleepybearx

HSC
If you already know the concepts, you should be getting 100%, correct?

And you're not.

Which means you don't understand the concepts fully enough to apply them in all possible applications.

Therefore you do the questions.
I do have basic knowledge of the concepts, and I do manage to get top marks... but never FULL marks. Like you stated.
I wish I could put more effort but the real main problem is: MOTIVATION.
I pay attention in class and all, but I just never do homework or practice questions because it's so unexciting. And I believe that I'm the type of the person that needs to establish the whole concept first then apply it... however
no matter how many times I tell myself: You HAVE to practice questions blabla, I feel really crap when I start doing the questions and I always question... why do I have to do this for? and end up not doing it.
And you're possibly right, I don't fully understands the concept enough to apply them in all possible applications!

Sigh. It sounds so complicated.
Just the simple command of 'Just do the questions' it's just so discouraging to me...

I'm not on my periods by any chance okay. this iz me n mah em0tionz

deloving

HSC
Sigh. It sounds so complicated.
Nope, I know that feel xd

In the end it's all about self-discipline. I don't think anything will every motivate you to do boring, repetitive maths problems. You just have to force yourself. Trust me, I'm in the same situation as you and I've been given the same answer over and over again - do the work and practice practice practice.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
1. Always do your homework. In Year 11 and 12 you do not want to be getting into the situation where you are falling behind class. It is often quite difficult to catch up as piles of homework/assessment tasks creep in. This can lead to "gaps" or "holes" in your knowledge. Yes in that delicious brain of yours.

2. Ask for clarification of concepts By this I don't mean asking the teacher to do a question IF you have not attempted it. Before you ask your teacher to do questions you can't do make sure you have a decent crack at it first. This process is what I call "Mathematical development". By clarifying concepts, you get more of an mathematical intuition.

3. Ask for clarification of concepts. Make sure you actually UNDERSTAND the concept rather than simply rote learning it. Sit down and think, why does so and so occur? Why am I doing this? Am I simply applying a formula that I do not understand what I am doing? What is the logic behind this question I am doing?

4. Past papers. This is not so much of an issue in Year 7-10. But in Year 11 and 12 you will be craving to do past papers. After learning a concept you must enforce it. Not just on textbook questions, rather exam style questions. Look closely at how textbook questions differ from exam questions. Not only does doing past papers reinforce the concept but it also demonstrates and illuminates the "holes" in your knowledge. This is to be fixed before your real examination. Also it gives you EXAM TECHNIQUE practice under TIME CONDITIONS.

Feel free to PM me if you need anymore help. You might also want to bring some cookies.

Last edited:

sleepybearx

HSC
Nope, I know that feel xd

In the end it's all about self-discipline. I don't think anything will every motivate you to do boring, repetitive maths problems. You just have to force yourself. Trust me, I'm in the same situation as you and I've been given the same answer over and over again - do the work and practice practice practice.
Question is... does your self-discipline work on you?
I just feel like suffocating when I just keep on repeating the same shizzle again and again and then stressing when I get the answer wrong or when I think there's a flaw in the question.
If only if practising questions were fun or something. </3

starshine02

HSC
even if you don't do all the questions i think you should have a go at a few. sometimes doing the same types of questions is boring so just find ones that have different applications of whatever you're doing.

sleepybearx

HSC
even if you don't do all the questions i think you should have a go at a few. sometimes doing the same types of questions is boring so just find ones that have different applications of whatever you're doing.
True. I just need that kick of reality. Maybe a little bit of optimism... or inspiration...
I feel like a deflated balloon. oh math. y u do diz 2 me

sleepybearx

HSC
NOPE. My motivation kicks in a couple of days before the test and fades away the moment I finish it.
darn it. My test is on Wednesday... 2 DAYS from now. And I have work tomorrow. FML. Well...
Lucky you! Do you practise questions from past exams?

deloving

HSC
No I don't, but it's recommended to do so. I just... cram loads of work in a short period of time, heh. (No I don't recommend you do that ;P)

HSC
I don't motivation is the problem with math, ever. I agree with how you siad that math is repetitiously boring, but that can be countered by listening to music while you study. And if you happen to know the main concepts, why don't you just practice harder questions at a regularity to get that extra edge

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
1. I have the feeling if you continue the way you approach maths you will do poorly.

2. Your attitude towards maths is unhealthy and unhelpful.

3. You need to do lots of questions/exercises to verify and to consolidate your understanding. You don't just pay full attention in class and hope to get it without doing follow-up exercises, unless you happen to be a genius.

4. You need someone with the necessary knowledge and experience to check you out before it is too late.

5. Luckily, you are in year 10. You still have time to make amends. But don't waste any more time now and seek independent help. You are the least qualified to help yourself at the moment.

Last edited:

iBibah

HSC
If it's 'boring' then its too easy.

Any decently challenging questions shouldn't bore you.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Please don't do what I did.

I was top of maths up until half way through Year 9. Yr 7/8 maths was a breeze but in Yr 9, something changed negatively in my attitude towards the subject, we had a kinda scary teacher and I think as soon as I got that one below good result, I wrote myself off from math. Also the point where my natural aptitude for that simple maths kicked out. SO I went from rank 1 in Yr 7/8/start of yr 9 to where I was rank 14 by the end of Yr 10. In Yr 10, I was quite lazy we had a loud class and my I chatted more than work, I stopped doing my homework everynight, and due to disagreement with teacher and my attitude, I stopped pursuing that additional help. (To be fair, they had a point to not be happy to answer my out of class Qs when I wasn't putting 100% in my class).

So rectify that now!!

I started Yr 11 with a fresh slate towards maths and it helped alot. But I still feel that the slacking off meant I left holes in my knowledge that I had to scramble to fill up in Yr 11. Also, I feel that if I actually put the effort in the first place, I was well and truly capable of doing MX1. But once you get that mental block in your head in the subject, you are so screwed. So once I got rid of that block and just accepted maths as any of my other subjects, it was fine :)

So the way I developed to study:
1) I make a method book. It's like a condensed theory book, but I have my formulas and look at the harder applications of how to do the different topics. My Yr 11/12 one is about 160 pages, it's colour coded and indexed. Super helpful in reviewing the basic concepts of each. And because I pick examples to demonstrate, making it revisit questions etc. It's more hands on than reading your theory book, which you won't absorb anything. ANd by making your own explanations of concepts, making it demonstrates your understanding. Also, you can do flashcards with it if you want to practice formulas quickly.

2) Don't do "auto pilot" maths. Don't breeze through not thinking and do just Q1 where the are all just doing this and then Q2. Mix it up. And please do the challenge Qs and harder questions, not the easier ones. I may be able to breeze through easy Qs like a boss but it doesn't help me because A) When I get to the test I forget formula cause I "auto piloted" at the time and 2) I'm screwed because I can't do the harder exam applications of the concepts.

3) Past papers galore! Doing these under exam conditions and thoroughly going through them to aid understanding is key. If I keep screwing up say Trig, I revisit it in my textbook to start back from basics. Might be harder to do in junior school, but I reckon it would sky rocket your marks to do past exam practice. Cause it gets you used to quickly switching between different topics and being under time pressure. Maths is a DOING subject. If don't have a pen in your hand, you are wasting your time. Making method book, writing notes, doing past papers, doing textbook Qs it's doing driven.

ANyway long story short when I gave maths a fresh slate in Yr 11, I actually began liking (shock horror from Yr 10 me who wasn't going to pick it) and always looking forward to maths class. If you can come to appreciate the feeling of nutting something out and the objective nature of it, it can be enjoyable. And now I'm not doing badly, it used to my weakest subject by far, but now I'm coming 4th in my year including all the MX1 class, which isn't too bad.

So please save yourself now, and come to love maths :)

nexus_lad_69

Sikkest Lad in Livo
HSC
Uni Grad
Doing past papers and questions/homework is the best way.

Just looking at worked examples, studying formulas or looking at notes won't help much.

As LoveHateSchool said, Maths is a DOING subject.

Wonder

HSC
You might find Maths more interesting in Years 11 & 12? I hated Years 7-10 Maths but I'm really liking it now.

But you shouldn't just rely on that. Maybe try doing more mixed questions (chapter reviews, mixed reviews, past papers, etc.) because they contain a variety of questions so you might find that more 'interesting' rather than just drilling in the same things over and over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)