How do you start off a discussion topic for a musicology aural? (1 Viewer)

Twinkie_Me

HSC
I'm having some trouble and feeling lost starting this whole thing.

It has to be rock music oriented so I'm considering Evermore or Fall Out Boy however the fact that I have to cover all the concepts of music in one discussion topic kinda makes me feel overwhelmed.

Anybody have some tips on what to consider when making a discussion topic?

TMR3

HSC
I'm having some trouble and feeling lost starting this whole thing.

It has to be rock music oriented so I'm considering Evermore or Fall Out Boy however the fact that I have to cover all the concepts of music in one discussion topic kinda makes me feel overwhelmed.

Anybody have some tips on what to consider when making a discussion topic?
I also am doing rock music for my viva voce. Trust me, its quite difficult.
We had our trial for our music and a few pointers to bring out is:
- they might make you start from your first point, or they might ask you 'where would you like to start'? if you do get 'where would you like to start' - then you ramble on with the introduction - make the impressed, it gets you more marks.
when i made my introduction, i kind of introduced why i chose the topic, when rock music started and its influences including the people who started the whole genre,included an excerpt or 2 and compared it to a modern piece and how it reflects back on to the rock of the 60s.

You need alot of research and when you do choose your excerpts - make sure you point out every single technique used and how it is used - they CAN ask you anything thats on the paper - thats why try not to put too much on the paper itself.
spc
Try to relate to all concepts of music - and when you do write your heading for you viva voce - if youre analysing a specific intrument - do put that into your heading, or else they can go straight ahead and ask you just about anything in that excerpt..

Try not to waste too much time..

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Slightly O/T, but if you can play an instrument, I recommend learning short phrases from songs that relate to each other that connect common techniques from different eras and play them in discussion as part of the viva. Examples help a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)