How do you prepare for extended response? (1 Viewer)

norelle

HSC
Will you actually prepare quite a few topic of extended response before go into exam?
erm because, the extended responses play quite an important role in the whole exam. it worth 40marks in ur hsc.
if u do good in the essays part, ur whole exam will be >=fine.
if u do not that good in that, ur marks fucked.

but, how do you prepare for it?
too many topics and each topic can ask about different issues .......
anyone has suggestion?

ceparsons

HSC
I'm having the same issue..
My teacher seems to think our Case Study will be the HSC question this year.. but thats just a hunch i think.

gnrlies

HSC
A few things:

1 - Do not prepare an extended response for every topic because this is an incredilbe waste of time.

2 - there is a specific style to writing good extended responses in HSC economics. You need to know how to write one using some important stylistic elements. By the time of the HSC exam, this will be the most important thing to work on as you will already know the content back to front. Best thing is to read band 6 responses. this way you will get an idea of what the best way to write is.

Last edited:

norelle

HSC
A few things:

1 - Do not prepare an extended response for every topic because this is an incredilbe waste of time.
but if u prepare for it, it can help ur multiple choice and short questions part as well
2 - there is a specific style to writing good extended responses in HSC economics. You need to know how to write one using some important stylistic elements.
so what are they?

Last edited by a moderator:

LordPc

HSC
im not so sure that I agree with not doing extended responses for each topic. If you have time and are really struggling with extened responses, reading band 6 responses is great, but other than that I cant see a better way to improve other than sitting down and actually writing some responses yourself.

if you really want to improve then you could write an essay for each topic, but you might want to just focus on big essay topics. like monetary and fiscal policy, globalisation, etc. write a few of these essays refine them to 18+ standard and then make them flexible. for example, micro and macro economic essays can be prepared so that you only really have to change your essay a little bit to fit the question, depending on what they ask you to focus on/stimulus, etc

just keep at it and perhaps try to plan out your essay for 5-10 minutes before you attempt them at home. hopefully in time you will be able to plan them in just 2-3 minutes before you start writing

gnrlies

HSC
but if u prepare for it, it can help ur multiple choice and short questions part as well

so what are they?
It wont really help your multiple choice as they are completely different exercises.

I am not going to write a list out here, but I have written an extensive guide on writing extended responses a little while back. It was pinned but it has since been taken off. It should be back there somewhere if you are interested. If i could count the number of strategies on one hand I would just list them now, but really there are a lot of things to know.

gnrlies

HSC
im not so sure that I agree with not doing extended responses for each topic. If you have time and are really struggling with extened responses, reading band 6 responses is great, but other than that I cant see a better way to improve other than sitting down and actually writing some responses yourself.

if you really want to improve then you could write an essay for each topic, but you might want to just focus on big essay topics. like monetary and fiscal policy, globalisation, etc. write a few of these essays refine them to 18+ standard and then make them flexible. for example, micro and macro economic essays can be prepared so that you only really have to change your essay a little bit to fit the question, depending on what they ask you to focus on/stimulus, etc

just keep at it and perhaps try to plan out your essay for 5-10 minutes before you attempt them at home. hopefully in time you will be able to plan them in just 2-3 minutes before you start writing
I think that writing practice extended responses is different to writing prepared extended responses. Practice extended responses are great. but they are really only useful when A) you don't know the question before you attempt to answer it B) you do it under exam conditions, or within similar constraints.

Otherwise this idea of "preparing" a perfect answer to a question that you will never get is a waste of time, because you could prepare 100 responses, but you can pretty much garuntee that no question you get in the HSC will match a prepared ext response.

Particularly at the time of the half yearly and approaching the trial, the best thing to spend your time on is to be studying the actual content of the course. Most students are not 100% with some of the concepts and there still needs to be attention to detail. Exam strategy is still very important at this time of the year, in fact it is probably more important now than at any time of the year, but thats precisely why prepared essays is not the answer. Students need to learn how to write an extended response under the pressure of the HSC without having to rely on a pre written plan.

This is why reading band 6 responses is important, because there are common elements between all top performers. Naturally when you read enough of them you start to emulate this yourself. It is also good to read some lower band answers so you can compare.

So bottom line is practicing extended responses is a good idea, particularly when you know the course back to front (usually occurs after the trial after you have studied everything), but preparing answers is not.

ceparsons

HSC
I think that doing practice responses, even if they are far more polished then they ever would be in exam conditions, is great - because it helps you tie in all the different concept s and make much more sense of them. and in this way i believe it helps significantly with multiple choice and short answer questions - which you can achieve better marks in if written as a mini-essay

HSC
If you choose to write an essay for each topic you may forget the content and the structure when you get into the exam hall. Make sure you make notes in the margin of your essay that clearly shows the structure and the main points in each paragraph.

imoO

HSC
For questions you know,
prepare a top-notch response and memorise it.

for those that you don't,
you're stuffed

haha nah jks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)