• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how do you prepare for creative writing? Area of study (1 Viewer)

gc653

HSC
Hey guys

just curious but..what is the best way to prepare for a creative writing response for the area of study tasks?? In year 10 the teachers were kind enough to only make us complete the reading and essay instead of the creative --> but even without the creative I struggled :/
So if our area of study topic is reflection do we:
- write a number of story plots or
- write a whole story, memorise certain parts

What is the best way to prepare if you struggle with coming up with creative stuff on the spot? I can imagine with all the stress on top of preparing that my brain will be numb by the time I get up to the imaginative section

Mikasa

HSC
I personally memorised 3 creatives (each in a different setting - one indoors, one outdoors & one in a vehicle or something) and tried to adapt them to the stimulus given on the day. It's a pretty dodgy method but I definitely was not one of those people who could BS entire storylines/creatives on the spot.

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I studied the rubric quite intensively and generated potential ideas, inspirations, contexts, characters and plots related to any ideas I had about my area of study (belonging). Then I thought about literary devices I could use in my story (eg a motif) and started writing draft after draft before I perfected a story I was happy with. I memorised it and then found areas I could adapt or appropriate in the actual exam if needed. I only had one story plot but TBH the best thing you can do is construct your story to suit the syllabus so you aren't caught off guard in the actual exam.

Also paper 1 isn't as bad as what you think it may be. Creatives are the easiest part of paper 1 imo haha

astroman

HSC
buy a beast 99.95 ext 2 english students advanced english creative and rote the fk out of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)