• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How do you mold pre-prepared essays? (1 Viewer)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Hey guys,
How do you mold essays that you've prepared into exams? Is changing concluding sentence of every body paragraphs good enough to answer the thesis ? because that's all I do atm. Does anyone out there have any useful suggestions on what skill or thought processes you should have on ur mind when in the process of molding a pre-prepared essay to fit with a question ? hm..

HSC
N/A
VuongstER_boi said:
Is changing concluding sentence of every body paragraphs good enough to answer the thesis ?
No.

Also, FYI, you don't answer a thesis. Your thesis is basically your argument - what you think your text/issue/whatever is about. You answer the question, and you cannot hope to do this simply by changing the concluding sentences. Use your brain and actually intersperse your arguments between your memorised essay, so you still have flow, but actually answer the question.

I think though, that you have a better chance of answering the question properly if you don't go into your exam with a prepared essay, but key points + LFAF to support these points memorised, and just create it there. There's always planning time, use it to construct an outline for your essay. Whatever floats your boat though I guess.

VuongstER_boi

HSC
-WaxingLyrical- said:
No.

Also, FYI, you don't answer a thesis. Your thesis is basically your argument - what you think your text/issue/whatever is about. You answer the question, and you cannot hope to do this simply by changing the concluding sentences. Use your brain and actually intersperse your arguments between your memorised essay, so you still have flow, but actually answer the question.

I think though, that you have a better chance of answering the question properly if you don't go into your exam with a prepared essay, but key points + LFAF to support these points memorised, and just create it there. There's always planning time, use it to construct an outline for your essay. Whatever floats your boat though I guess.
Hey, sorry , I haven't been checking my previous posts until now. But that's quite insightful there.Thankyou!

Felix Jones

HSC
at the end of your every argumentative paragraph refer back and relate to the question.

the structure should essentially remain the same (techniques, themes motifs etc) but to go that extra step, you have to mold your essay into the requirements of the essay by constantly referring back to it.

also what i do is make a paragraph on the context of the texts, and i\other things that i know i wont change in the exam, but for intro and conclusion i make it up on the spot to suit the question.

hope that help. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)