How do you make notes and stay consistent (1 Viewer)

HSCExposed

HSC
I need help. How do you guys make your notes? Do you type it or hand write it into your exercise books? DO you use other people's notes as sources of information or just textbooks? Please outline how you write your notes..

How do you stay motivated and consistent in studying? I really hate studying like REALLY hate it. What can I do to overcome this? How do you memorize all your notes? How do you not be lazy and just study?

duhdevitt

HSC
How do you make notes
1) I asked that same question and it's different for every person. The best way for ME was like this(I did this for bio, phys and sdd)
-Dot point name
- Notes on that specific dotpoint and writing what the verb means
- DIAGRAMS
- Write an answer to the dot point
- If you keep referring to your notes try and understand by reading it with a clear mind

2)Type or hand write
I handwrite as you can recall it better

3) What resources
I use textbooks, notes online and my knowledge

4) How to stay motivated + enjoy studying
Take a deep breath before studying, as I've even studying the same way for like 2years it's a habit and The key to enjoy studying is to not see it as something you HAVE TO DO but as something YOU WANT TO DO. And for me that's easy cos I'm doing subjects I love doing not ones that give high scaling

5) Memoriae

I don't memorise stuff I understand it except for bio. But I assume you do heavy content subject so just read the content over and over again but again I don't memorise so I can't help with that

rexona <3

astroman

HSC
How do you guys make your notes? everyone is different, personally i type mine up considering that they can be edited, arranged, and printed easily as opposed to hand written notes which may become lost or may be illegible. Also, you can't really put diagrams and pictures through hand writing, so yea. So, my advice would be to try both, but don't leave this too long, the first term of HSC is gone already and you need to stick to a consistent regime of one form or another. Most people i know hand write notes, but its personal preference in the end. :)

DO you use other people's notes as sources of information or just textbooks? Both, you need to have a set of guidelines or say 'target' as to what your goals should be like, check other high achieving students notes and try to structure your notes similar to theirs. Also, don't rely on a single means of data to collate your notes, instead utilise notes, textbooks and online simultaneously to utilise only the best and most relevant information in your own notes.

Please outline how you write your notes As most notes do, you follow the syllabus dot points and elaborate on them. Most if not all HSC textbooks are made this way and this is also how your notes should be.

How do you stay motivated and consistent in studying? Well studying will lead to a good university degree, which will lead to a high paying job, which will allow for room for spending more money on your wants as opposed to always stressing about your needs. You don't want to fall behind, and live a miserable life unemployed with no money. Consistency is hard to manage IMO but it is necessary, instead of using a timetabling scheme of organising work, use a 'to do list' to set yourself realistic goals which you know you will accomplish. Through this, you will feel accomplished and remain productive instead of bludging. Also, it is important to remain consistent throughout all your subjects, revise thoroughly and do extra homework, never stop learning, whether it be from a textbook or youtube, knowledge is everywhere and the more your have, the better it will be for you.

I really hate studying like REALLY hate it. What can i do to overcome thisWho doesn't :haha:, but in all seriousness, this is the end of your high school journey and will literally be the key to what you will be able to further study after HSC. Just think about the past 11 or so years you spent schooling that have led up to this, and let that be an influential motif to try your best and to not give up now. If you wan't to enjoy study, only study for short amounts of time, say 30mins per subject, followed by 15min rests. This will be effective as you will get the most out of your study time and will avoid 'burn out' which leads to boredom and thus hatred of study.

How do you memorize all your notes?For commercial studies, i find that consistent re-reading works fine for me. For sciences, you must ensure you understand and know why things occur and cannot simply rely on rote learning. For math, learn to derive your formulas instead of remembering them through repetition. Remember, its not only notes that lead to success, you must do past practice papers to familiarsie yourself with the questions that may be asked in tests. Also, don't get stuck into thinking that quantity is more effective than quality when doing past papers, WRONG! If you are bad at one past paper, redo it a few days later and try your best to fix your mistakes and further improve on questions your think are worthy of top marks.

How do you not be lazy and just study?Honestly, just start studying, avoid distractions such as your computer, phone, and all technology basically and begin with just a book, pencil and pen. Set reminders, and make it a habit, you need to study smarter not harder :)

HSC
Excellent question, something I'm always really curious about

Gathering info
-answering syllabus dot points
-basing on what my teachers have taught in class
-filling in the gaps by using past student's notes or the net/ textbooks

My notes
-I use A4 blank papers (so much space and unlimited styles/ methods)
-I type up the syllabus points + general info out in a memorable font, and print it (it makes it more definite when you have a hardcopy)
-I then handwrite extra details or to add in more stuff (I remember info in my handwriting way more)

Motivation/ studying
-I have a to-do list
-I take productive breaks when I can't concentrate (exercising(star jumps, etc)/ running since it brings oxygen to the brain- very important)
- Feel like you can't work on the subject at the moment, move on to the next and get back to it
- Complete what you feel you can, don't force yourself, just continue with another subject (you don't want to complain/ make excuses for why you can't complete work from a certain subject)
-Also, remember the big picture of why you want to succeed
-To remain focused, concentrate on tiny aspects such as keeping neat or controlling your handwriting. Laziness is expressed through handwriting too and handwriting is extremely important in the HSC
-*MUSIC!!! Whether on speakers or through earphones; any genre (for some reason I listen to dance music- keeps me awake and in my micro-breaks I get to dance lol)

Memorising
Personally, I have to get creative or else I can't remember anything at all. However, everyone has different preferences/ methods
-Professional atmosphere (having a professional desk setup or just having a professional notes layout)
-Colour helps with memory...well for the majority (highlighting, colouring, feltips)
-Ask your self questions to understand (verbally or mentally, any will do- usually it's mentally for me since it's going to be awkward for others around me)
-Use mnemonics (this ranges from abbreviations, numbering, diagrams, funny anecdotes, etc)
-Make sure you are comfortable! Extra cushions, arm rests, water supplies, idk
-Rest, don't always force yourself when you physically (or mentally) can't

The tips I have been hearing, are useful too and I'm always willing to hear other people's study methods. I like this discussion =)

Last edited:

habibi213

HSC
I think you're gonna have to try and motivate yourself to study even though it may seem impossible, because studying while unmotivated is pretty hard.

Over the course of the year, I typed out a set of summarised notes which I used textbooks etc. to create. Then, before small and big exams e.g. Trials, I wrote a new set of even more summarised notes using the notes I had typed out over the course of the year so that I could refresh my memory on the content for recall during the exam. I did this because I felt like writing was more active and engaging, because you had to actually think rather than just blindly typing stuff out (this is probably because writing is a lot slower than typing).

Do whatever works for you - different strokes for different blokes. Good luck!

HSCExposed

HSC
Thanks a lot everyone! If anyone had more tips, don't hesitate to comment

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
1. If possible write notes for every syllabus dotpoint where needed.
for maths only for foreign concepts
Make sure to include formula for physics, chemical equations for chemistry.
When writing the notes put it into a format that suits you and is best for studying.
highlight key things (I did this by using colours and putting some information in coloured boxes)
Use diagrams especially for physics, flowcharts are good especially for the humanities and mindmaps are good for history subjects.
A good example should be somewhere
2. write a study plan but most importantly stick to it. Your best bet is to schedule 90 or 120 minute sessions on non-school day e.g.
8:45 Early Study
10:15 Break (none if past paper)
10:30 Morning Study
12:30 Lunch break (12:15 if past paper in morning)
13:45 Afternoon Study
15:45 Break
16:15 Evening Study
17:45 Help with Dinner and Free Time
18:30 Dinner
19:15 Night Study (19:00 for past paper)
21:15 End Schedule except if past paper

HSCExposed

HSC
Guys just wondering.. Is it better to make your OWN notes or just use someone else's band 6 notes? I'm not sure what to do as writing my own would take a long time and it might not be good quality

HSC
Guys just wondering.. Is it better to make your OWN notes or just use someone else's band 6 notes? I'm not sure what to do as writing my own would take a long time and it might not be good quality
Depends on your study/ memory type. Making your own notes but using info from band 6 notes is beneficial while it suits your learning style. When personalising your notes, it makes you remember info more.

Btw, just a general question, what type of memory do you have? Photographic, visual, aural or hands-on? So it depends..

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Set short blocks of goals..

i.e I'll complete c-f of syllabus points by xyz date

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)