How do you find the margin of error in Newton's method? (1 Viewer)

pomsky

HSC
Newton's method is used to find an approximation to the positive root of the equation The initial approximation is The error in this initial approximation is Show that the error in the next approximation (obtained by one application of Newton's method) is given by

Any advice on how to approach this?

rand_althor

HSC
f(x) is the expression they've stated, x2 - c. f'(x) would be 2x, as c is a constant.

Last edited:

pomsky

HSC
Sweet- thanks Rand :)

Mind if you help me solve another Q? Dunno how to get rid of coefficients in binomial: "The real number x is a solution of the equation . Use the binomial theorem to show that the sum of the series , where is an integer , is given by

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Sweet- thanks Rand :)

Mind if you help me solve another Q? Dunno how to get rid of coefficients in binomial: "The real number x is a solution of the equation . Use the binomial theorem to show that the sum of the series , where is an integer , is given by

Last edited:

pomsky

HSC
wait jks jks it's a show, not prove question <>
Which means you used the LHS/ RHS thingo right?

rand_althor

HSC
Thanks Integrand! :) Quick Q though: how did you go from to ?
He established that by using the sum of a geometric series. To get he factored out from the sum. Is that what you were unsure about?

pomsky

HSC
Sweet. :) Nah, I was unsure about the jump cos misread Q and thought it was a 'Prove" question (in which case I'm told , we wouldn't be able to do the LHS = RHS thingo. Is that true?)

What about this Q? (Perms and combs go over my head unfortunately. Trying to hammer out some before HSC haha)

Q: A sports committee consisting of four rowers, three basketballers and two cricketers sits at a circular table.
How many different arrangements of the committee are possible if the rowers and basketballers both sit together in groups, but no rower sits next to a basketballer?

Does this just mean that it's a group of rowers + cricketer + group of basketballers + cricketer?

Last edited:

rand_althor

HSC
How many different arrangements of the committee are possible if the rowers and basketballers both sit together in groups, but no rower sits next to a basketballer?
Does this just mean that it's a group of rowers + cricketer + group of basketballers + cricketer?
Yep, that's the only setup which follows the conditions. What's the answer?

pomsky

HSC
Sweet again x) How I've been taught is that my teachers recommend articulating LHS = RHS in 'show' questions (usually subbing or some manipulating, whereas for 'prove' questions, they recommend that I move from LHS to RHS in one direction only. (if that makes sense?)

But you're right, it's probably semantics ahaha.

In that case, for the perms and combs Q, would it be (4-1)!*2! (to move the cricketers) *4! (to move the rowers) *3! (to move the basketballers?)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Sweet again x) How I've been taught is that my teachers recommend articulating LHS = RHS in 'show' questions (usually subbing or some manipulating, whereas for 'prove' questions, they recommend that I move from LHS to RHS in one direction only. (if that makes sense?)

But you're right, it's probably semantics ahaha.

In that case, for the perms and combs Q, would it be (4-1)!*2! (to move the cricketers) *4! (to move the rowers) *3! (to move the basketballers?)

----B
C1----C2
----R

(hopefully that diagram makes sense (the ---'s are just there to fill up space since just using spacebar doesn't seem to work)

----R
C1----C2
----B.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)