How do you do a BMedSci WITHOUT Having Previously Done any Sciences? (1 Viewer)

Callistogenic

HSC
Going on leave from uni does a lot of weird things to people. For one, it gives you enough time to walk away and assess your situation. After deciding to get a 'real' job, (sorry guys, the BA(Digital Arts) doesn't give me enough intelligence-cred, lol) a crazy idea popped into my head about doing medicine. (BMedSci first, then the MBBS.)

Anyway, I didn't study bio/chem/physics in high school. A bridging course in chem is offered, and I am willing to attend, but considering that most of BMedSci is a combination of the above, I've been trying so hard to study on my own and increase my general awareness. Just so I've got my head slightly above the water. My efforts don't feel hopeless, but I do feel frustrated in 'not being able to get anywhere' with the content.

For those whom did a bridging course like me, and didn't study in their own spare time, how did you fare? What might you recommend?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Do the bridging course and chemistry will be fine... but you really should do that.

Biology doesn't require any prior knowledge. But it does require an interest in how living things work and a curious mind. Those will allow you to study without knowing you're study. :) I did molecular biology this year and I've never done bio before. It's fairly straightforward.

A nice thing about that degree is that each course uses facets of the others.
Chem feeds into molecular and human biology. Human and molecular feed into each other. Living cells done in first semester feeds into molecular (although I hadn't done living cells; it's not a prerequisite just heavily recommended) - that said, it's a core of med sci.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Well...

I did the bridging course, it's worth going to, but there is so little to teach that they end up teaching some of the stuff (on a simpler level) that you'll be doing during the semester. The teaching standard in first year chemistry is excellent, and there are heaps of extra tutorials for people like you who haven't got a chemistry background.

In regards to biology - it's a laugh. In first year biology the labs are particularly easy, because they pretty much involve very basic preparations, observing stuff under the microscope a few times, then working out some statistics and graphing what you saw.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Don't do BMedSci first. Chances are you won't get into MBBS then be stuck with a degree that's not really all that useful. Do a regular BSc or a BEng instead.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
well it is useful if you r interested and want to research diseases and generally like helping people, u dun have to be a doctor, but yeah having said that, do it if you are interested, if you are then you should be fine. i didnt do any sciences at school either. science really isnt hard it's just logic and linking the right things together like someone else said, all medical science units connect which helps heaps when you have exams cos u study the same thing in 2 subjects etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)