• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How do you check... (1 Viewer)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
How do you check if your comp has
1) USB 2.0 installed
2) A recovery partition

I tried going to device manager and all that but get lost every time...

Amryllis

HSC
For USB 2, if you look under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" entry, and you see "Enhanced Host Controller" somewhere (or something similar, as long as it says "enhanced"), then you have USB 2.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
What do you mean by recovery partition? All computers with versions of Win after Windows 98 should have system restore if thats what you mean.

If you want a partitioned harddrive then you need a partioning program like WinPartition, though IMO you are better off buying a second harddrive since they are so cheap and having a back up on that since a virus wont spread across it like it can on a partioned HD if you are careful.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The easiest way to check is to plug a USB2.0 thumbdrive in if you don't have usb2.0 then a bubble reading hi-speed devive plugged in low speed hole will pop up.

You could also search online for the specs of your motherboard, or rear its manual.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Suvat said:
How do you check if your comp has
1) USB 2.0 installed
2) A recovery partition
What do you mean by a recovery partition?
I have a hard drive partition where i can use for backup

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Tnx for your help guys

I confirmed that i had usb 2.0 by clocking the transfer rate of files to my usb stick, ended up to be 48 mpbs which is only 1/10th the theoretical speed of usb 2.0 but 4x the speed of usb 1.1. Dunno why it's so much lower than the theoretical though.

I also found out that my comp doesn't have a recovery partition, usually only laptops and pre ordered pcs (e.g. dell) have them...

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
sunny said:
Because its theoretical.
But 1/10th of the theoretical??? Come on, not even my internet connection goes that slow relative to its theoretical rate...

sunny

meh.
HSC
Suvat said:
But 1/10th of the theoretical???
Blame your memory stick, the bottleneck is there, not at the interface. I'm assuming you know the difference between Hi Speed, Full Speed, MB and Mb here.

Even out of logic you should find it hard to believe that your memory stick can write at 60MB/s.

Suvat said:
Come on, not even my internet connection goes that slow relative to its theoretical rate...
Your internet connection probably has far less factors affecting its speed.

While we're at it, your hard disk never sustains performance at the advertised ATA133/100, your 52x CD ROM probably never go faster than ~20x, and your 16x DVD ROM will be lucky to go past 10x.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)