How do you build a generator? (1 Viewer)

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
I was asked to build a generator as one of my assessment task. How can I go about to build a simple generator? Any help would be very much appreciated.:)

Jouma47

HSC
Hey

we are asked to do that aswell, but google doesnt seem to give "simple generators".

Help would also be much appreaciated..

Thanks

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
I got this prac. today, grrr, could not get the thing to work, did everything completely wrong, however it was a trial run, I am doing the real deal tomorrow. I came here looking for help. I think basically you coil the wire around the armature, where the start and end should be on one side. iMan I dunno, I didn't get it to work, even with instructions, some genius got it working in 10 minutes. I can't apply my physics knowledge!!!

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Just learn about generator. That's quite difficult, in particular where can I find the materials needed to build one.

Geez, my teacher has been very unhelpful. He just said built it and find the materials yourself, and he only taught us a bit about generator yesterday.

BUT, THE ASSESSMENT IS DUE ON MONDAY. What can I do?

Huh, everyone will fail in my physics class. (On the last test, the highest mark was like 65% and the average was 25%). But I think that if we get good mark on the actual HSC, then everyone's marks will be scaled up. I hope so...:mad1:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Learn the functions of the components of a generator and work your way there. Also, take a look at a simple diagram to see what it looks like. Here's a little help:
- Stator (permanent magnets, often bar magnets)
They provide the change in magnetic field. You'll just need two bar magnets and place them in opposing poles.
- Rotor (coil of wire)
They provide the torque required to produce the current. You probably need an axle to wrap the wires around because you are probably going to manually rotate it by turning the axle.
- Carbon brushes (graphite brushes/blocks)
Find some pieces of graphite or any other conducting material. These provide a pathway for the induced current to flow. Try to find a prism or spherical shaped conductor. It only contacts the split ring commutator at a small point.
- Split ring commutator (metallic rings split in the middle)
This changes the direction of current to ensure constant torque in one direction. You need to find two half rings and attach each ring to each end of the coil of wire. Make sure the space between the half rings is enough so that when the carbon brush is in contact with it, the contact is temporarily absent when the gap between the rings reaches the carbon brush. The rings should be rotating as you turn them with the axle.
- External circuit (wires connected to light globe)
You need to show that there is an induced current in the wires. To show this, attach wires to the carbon brushes (with alligator clips preferably) and attach the two ends to a light globe. If there is an induced current, the light globe show glow slightly.

Hope that helps....:)

Last edited:

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Learn the functions of the components of a generator and work your way there. Also, take a look at a simple diagram to see what it looks like. Here's a little help:
- Stator (permanent magnets, often bar magnets)
They provide the change in magnetic field. You'll just need two bar magnets and place them in opposing poles.
- Rotor (coil of wire)
They provide the torque required to produce the current. You probably need an axle to wrap the wires around because you are probably going to manually rotate it by turning the axle.
- Carbon brushes (graphite brushes/blocks)
Find some pieces of graphite or any other conducting material. These provide a pathway for the induced current to flow. Try to find a prism or spherical shaped conductor. It only contacts the split ring commutator at a small point.
- Split ring commutator (metallic rings split in the middle)
This changes the direction of current to ensure constant torque in one direction. You need to find two half rings and attach each ring to each end of the coil of wire. Make sure the space between the half rings is enough so that when the carbon brush is in contact with it, the contact is temporarily absent when the gap between the rings reaches the carbon brush. The rings should be rotating as you turn them with the axle.
- External circuit (wires connected to light globe)
You need to show that there is an induced current in the wires. To show this, attach wires to the carbon brushes (with alligator clips preferably) and attach the two ends to a light globe. If there is an induced current, the light globe show glow slightly.

Hope that helps....
Thanks for your help. Some problem though:
1. I can't get any magnets. Oh well, just use my school's magnets but that's mean I won't be able to design it at home...:mad1:
2. Where can I get axle and copper wires? Sorry to ask such question, but no one in my class seems to be able to find those too (except one guy)
I also couldn't get the rest of the materials needed. (I know it already)

Well, maybe if I just design a model using A4 paper, then I should get some marks. My school should provide the materials needed, but my physics teacher is so lazy...:burn:

sasquatch

HSC
To buy electronic equipment such as wire, light globes or ect. you can visit dick smith (try to go to a bigger one, such as a powerhouse, as i think some of them dont sell electronics equipment). You could also try Jaycar. And for prices, wire is VERY cheap, and globes i think are 50c or something... I dunno where you can get magnets from...but it you have a motor..you could break them out (you can buy motors from dicksmith too..but i think they only have small ones). If you have any old speakers they have magnets too..

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The axel is really easy, just buy a pack of those thing wooden sticks that you use for sticking through your bbq chicken. :D
Also for the base of your motor, get a flat large piece of styrofoam and you can make an X with the two of the wooden sticks and stick them into the styrofoam on one side; do the same for another two sticks and this allows you to lay your axel on the two X's.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
My friend got his magnets from his hard drive. Oh no, I don't want to sacrifice my hard drive just for doing physics assessment that worth only 10%...

sasquatch

HSC
Riviet said:
The axel is really easy, just buy a pack of those thing wooden sticks that you use for sticking through your bbq chicken. :D
Also for the base of your motor, get a flat large piece of styrofoam and you can make an X with the two of the wooden sticks and stick them into the styrofoam on one side; do the same for another two sticks and this allows you to lay your axel on the two X's.
I can tell you did that prac 6.4 was it for physics.. we did that about two weeks ago...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sasquatch said:
I can tell you did that prac 6.4 was it for physics.. we did that about two weeks ago...
That's right, and we had so much fun too with that prac because it was done in-class and not an assessment. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)