• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How do you answer a "Do You Agree" question? (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Actually you do. Happy to be corrected by a HSC marker or a state ranker.
But there's no need. You can be clear on your position without these terms. It's just poor expression in my opinion.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
But there's no need. You can be clear on your position without these terms. It's just poor expression in my opinion.
Valid point regarding the issue with expression, I yield on that note. But it's a price you have to pay. I'd argue that someone with some level of literary skill could work their way around it. Perhaps say "I agree as" <Insert question in terms of module rubric>.

Dunno Absolutezero, you could be right (not saying you're off the money), but what I've been taught, what I find that works, and what I teach my students is to answer the question in the first few words you write. You have another 1000 words left to show how awesome you are at expression if your first sentence was a tad awkward (shouldn't be with practice though).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Valid point regarding the issue with expression, I yield on that note. But it's a price you have to pay. I'd argue that someone with some level of literary skill could work their way around it. Perhaps say "I agree as" <Insert question in terms of module rubric>.

Dunno Absolutezero, you could be right (not saying you're off the money), but what I've been taught, what I find that works, and what I teach my students is to answer the question in the first few words you write. You have another 1000 words left to show how awesome you are at expression if your first sentence was a tad awkward (shouldn't be with practice though).
That might just be what it comes down to. I will concede that many students may not have the skills to adequately answer the question without a blunt, personal response. However, I would advocate that if they can develop the skills to answer it without it, then that's what they should do.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
That might just be what it comes down to. I will concede that many students may not have the skills to adequately answer the question without a blunt, personal response. However, I would advocate that if they can develop the skills to answer it without it, then that's what they should do.
Thanks for your thoughts. Enjoyed having a decent discussion =].

Come here youu <3

SanjoyM

HSC
I usually refrain from using terms such as, "I agree" or "I disagree". I just answer the question in my thesis and refer to it throughout my essay.
I strictly adhere to the traditional integrated format of an essay, which adroitly addressed the question, refers to judiciously choosen textual references and employs clear, yet sophisticated expression.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I usually refrain from using terms such as, "I agree" or "I disagree". I just answer the question in my thesis and refer to it throughout my essay.
I strictly adhere to the traditional integrated format of an essay, which adroitly addressed the question, refers to judiciously choosen textual references and employs clear, yet sophisticated expression.

=P

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL! So, do you recommend answering using "I agree" or "I strongly disagree" - not really an essay, is it?
Yes. Don't use 'strongly' unless you're 100% confident your essay doesn't antagonise your viewpoint at all though.

SanjoyM

HSC
Yes. Don't use 'strongly' unless you're 100% confident your essay doesn't antagonise your viewpoint at all though.
I really do not feel comfortable using first person in essays. I would rather say, "From a 21st century student's viewpoint, it is clearly evident that these speeches transcend contextual constraints through thier rhetorical treatment of human aspirations and beliefs.." etc...

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I really do not feel comfortable using first person in essays. I would rather say, "From a 21st century student's viewpoint, it is clearly evident that these speeches transcend contextual constraints through thier rhetorical treatment of human aspirations and beliefs.." etc...

Alkenes

HSC
N/A
Just say "piss off, I am not agreeing with you mate" LOL

Miscbrah

HSC
Another question here.

For a question like this:

“Distinctive ideas are at the heart of every film.”

In your view, what is a distinctive idea explored in Witness? Explain how this idea is developed throughout the film.

Would it be okay for me to build my thesis around the question statement “Distinctive ideas are at the heart of every film.” or would it be recommended to create a thesis that relates to the statement but isn't built around it ?

So my thesis would be something along the lines of:

Films are built on a distinctive idea, such that it is employed as a centerpiece for the director to highlight certain issues.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Another question here.

For a question like this:

“Distinctive ideas are at the heart of every film.”

In your view, what is a distinctive idea explored in Witness? Explain how this idea is developed throughout the film.

Would it be okay for me to build my thesis around the question statement “Distinctive ideas are at the heart of every film.” or would it be recommended to create a thesis that relates to the statement but isn't built around it ?

So my thesis would be something along the lines of:

Films are built on a distinctive idea, such that it is employed as a centerpiece for the director to highlight certain issues.
I would basis it on a specific idea, because the question is asking you what is a distinct idea explored, not "are distinctive ideas at the heart of a film". So something like:

Love (or whatever your theme is) is a distinct idea in Witness, and the representation of it serves as the heart of the film. Love is... etc.

HSC
Uni Grad
Wherever you can, in your paragraphs, if you see a link between your points, evidence and the question, then LINK them together. That's what pulled my essay from a 12/15 to a 14/15 :)

So not only do you link at the beginning and end, but throughout (Y).

Miscbrah

HSC
I would basis it on a specific idea, because the question is asking you what is a distinct idea explored, not "are distinctive ideas at the heart of a film". So something like:

Love (or whatever your theme is) is a distinct idea in Witness, and the representation of it serves as the heart of the film. Love is... etc.
Oh ok thanks. I originally thought that but decided to see how it would look with a brief thesis rather than theme specific.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)