• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How do you answer a "Do You Agree" question? (1 Viewer)

Miscbrah

HSC
Specifically in English.

For example:

"In ________, the director __________ presents a traditional world as far better than modern society" Do you agree?

How would you answer this question throughout your response?

Do you just answer it directly and say "I agree" or what?

HSC
N/A
Just write "YES" or "NO" and then draw a trollface. It's not like you didn't answer the question. :p

Last edited:

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Specifically in English.

For example:

"In ________, the director __________ presents a traditional world as far better than modern society" Do you agree?

How would you answer this question throughout your response?

Do you just answer it directly and say "I agree" or what?
Agree, however... <Insert essay>

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You use argues that support the statement in question. In restating the question (in your thesis) you present a positive view of the question. This shows your agreement.

By contrast, a disagreement is also reflect in the negative arguments you use. Your thesis also uses the negative version of the question. e.g. Film X does not present a better view of traditional society, as it focuses on the positive aspects of the contemporary world in a contemporary setting.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
That makes for a terrible introduction.
It worked for me.

(Also, my response was rather satirical. But the general idea holds given you maintain a high level of eloquence in saying "Agree, however... <Insert essay>" in an acceptable and articulate way).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It worked for me.

(Also, my response was rather satirical. But the general idea holds given you maintain a high level of eloquence in saying "Agree, however... <Insert essay>" in an acceptable and articulate way).
I mean, it could work. I don't doubt that, and I'm sure people have done it. :) But if you want a well presented essay, with strong structural form, it should be avoided.

Miscbrah

HSC
You use argues that support the statement in question. In restating the question (in your thesis) you present a positive view of the question. This shows your agreement.

By contrast, a disagreement is also reflect in the negative arguments you use. Your thesis also uses the negative version of the question. e.g. Film X does not present a better view of traditional society, as it focuses on the positive aspects of the contemporary world in a contemporary setting.
So would I continuously answer the question at the end of every body paragraph as well as answering it in the intro and conclusion?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
So would I continuously answer the question at the end of every body paragraph as well as answering it in the intro and conclusion?
Not really. As long as your arguments are relevant to one side of the agree/disagree argument you're fine. It's only in the introduction and conclusion where it needs to be slightly more obvious.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Not really. As long as your arguments are relevant to one side of the agree/disagree argument you're fine. It's only in the introduction and conclusion where it needs to be slightly more obvious.
Oh heavens no. Easiest way of locking yourself into a C-range.

You need to be CONTINUOUSLY be answering your question THROUGHOUT ALL your paragraphs. You need to learn to do it in a way that's smooth and articulate - your vocabulary and expression are very important. IN ADDITION to ALWAYS answering the question, they need to be extra obvious in your topic sentences and blatantly obvious in your intro/outro.

Will retract my direct refute against Absolutezero if he/she got 95+ in Advanced.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Just make your thesis statement supporting the quote or opposing it. Then do your essay as usual but make sure it addresses the thesis.

Miscbrah

HSC
So would this be an almost decent thesis or something along the right track for the question...?

"The existence of barriers separating groups due to contrasting social values in the world presents an idea that a traditional world is better than a modern urban society."

How can I improve this thesis statement?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's decent, but too verbose. Something like:

In the modern world, contrasting social values create barriers to separate individuals, and this reinforces the benefits of a traditional society.

simplifies it down.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
It's decent, but too verbose. Something like:

In the modern world, contrasting social values create barriers to separate individuals, and this reinforces the benefits of a traditional society.

simplifies it down.
+1. Absolute just presented a perfect example of how excellent expression leads to a shorter essay that not only sounds better, but allows for easier sculpting to the question.

Miscbrah

HSC
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help and quick responses!! I think I've got the general gist of how to tackle this type of question now.

I'll start on my essay right away with a improved thesis statement and better idea of direction

SanjoyM

HSC
First of all, do not take these types of questions literally!
They do not require a "YES" or "NO" answer.
Write like you would normally write an essay, but answer the question through references and judiciously choosen textual details and techniques.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
First of all, do not take these types of questions literally!
They do not require a "YES" or "NO" answer.
Write like you would normally write an essay, but answer the question through references and judiciously choosen textual details and techniques.
They do if you'd like more than 12/20 for your response.

You *must* answer the question clearly and straight off the bat in your first line, and this must echo throughout your essay. You can agree/disagree, that's fine, but you need to take a stance and support this stance through your essay. If your essay argues both stances, choose one, add something like 'however' and continue along your merry way.

Whatever you do, please, PLEASE answer the question CLEARLY and in a way that the marker CANNOT DOUBT that you're answering teh question.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
They do if you'd like more than 12/20 for your response.

You *must* answer the question clearly and straight off the bat in your first line, and this must echo throughout your essay. You can agree/disagree, that's fine, but you need to take a stance and support this stance through your essay. If your essay argues both stances, choose one, add something like 'however' and continue along your merry way.

Whatever you do, please, PLEASE answer the question CLEARLY and in a way that the marker CANNOT DOUBT that you're answering teh question.
I think what he was getting at is that you don't use the obvious "I agree" or "I disagree" as your opening line. Rather, you have a clear position, and support it through arguments. I don't believe he was advocating a discussion of pros and cons.

A Clear Position and an Obvious Response are different things, and the former is definitely preferred.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I think what he was getting at is that you don't use the obvious "I agree" or "I disagree" as your opening line. Rather, you have a clear position, and support it through arguments.

A Clear Position and an Obvious Response are different things, and the former is definitely preferred.
Actually you do. Happy to be corrected by a HSC marker or a state ranker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)