How do you actually study for family? (1 Viewer)

Jaron2005

HSC
Hey guys i have seen many past HSC paper for legal stduies, but i was wondering how do you actually study for it, as crime is easy to study for because there is questions and multiple choices. But for family you have to write a long response, so i was wondering how do you actually study for it?
Same goes for World Order.:confused:

Jaron2005

HSC
I have over 50 pages of note, from crime to world order, and i have no idea how i would memorise them or study from them, because the method i did for my prelim seems to work fine but i want something more effective as i will have to memorise more case studies and etc.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
make notes by the syllabus
learn them
make sure you know every dotpoint and the info for it
do practice questions

Good luck :)

oe

HSC
my opinion is jsut read and reread or write it out and rewrite it out and just remember your stuff. do some practise questions and summarise the syllabus!!

disillusive

HSC
Just make sure you know and can elaborate on all of the dot points from the syllabus. A lot of it overlaps so it's not as much as it seems. The essay questions are almost always evaluate the effectiveness or about reform. So to write those essays you utilize the evaluation formula from the syllabus. (Resource efficiency, accessibility etc) Thats pretty much what I did last year and it served me very well.

SagiVen

HSC
noir. said:
Memorise the
  • Acts
  • key points from the syllabus, and
  • do past papers and
  • elaborate
U make it sounds so easy...but how will u be able to relate which acts/cases for each Q??? I think i m going to ...:bomb:

trevolution

HSC
SagiVen said:
U make it sounds so easy...but how will u be able to relate which acts/cases for each Q??? I think i m going to ...:bomb:

When you get your question, and after u finish shitting yourself, just take whats left of your reading time to think the question through, and devise some sort of direction to where you intend to go...the markers will know which cases probably should be in the body of the text but like all good humanities subjects you may be wrong in principle but if you can somehow bring out some magical justification and reasoning, you will get good marks, and if your serious about your HSC and want to do the best you will study your ass off until you know all the cases, acts and articles, just keep plugging away at it read, re-read, write, re-write and have nightmares about it and then come the HSC for some reason you will remember all the acts, cases and articles.

Adam

airbag

HSC
write an essay plan
it really helps

questions are usually pretty broad, so fill your head with all the cases, articles and Acts that you possibly can

when you get in there write em up in your essay plan

using a framework makes essay writing SO much easier

Jessica14

HSC
I tabulated my info.

First column is the legal issue.

Second column is the remedy; explanation of, reasons for...

Third column is the effectiveness for the individual and for society using the criteria from the syllabus (resource efficiency, equality...)

You need more notes on top of that but it's good for effectiveness.

MyLoveIsPure

HSC
dont do past papers man its a waste of time. all these gooses probably stay home all day trying to memorise points but forget them at the end of the day. All you gotta do is take it step by step. First, learn the family arrangements, marriages etc. Next day( or the next hour) focus on homosexuals, or single parents etc...just take it step by step.

also try to remember the acts too. if u do forget the acts in the exam, just Family Law ACT 1975 because the whole topic on families is based on that act.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
just pretty much know your content and be able to string it into an essay. thats what i love about legal and eco, the essays are so much easier than english. all you have to do is know your stuff, for eng its so much harder. yeah just basically, know your content and then structure it into an answer that flows. knowing a few acts is always a good idea

sasa-o8

HSC
I suggest:

* Writing up your own summaries according to the syllabus ( I didn't do this, and instead followed the headings in my textbook which stuffed me over for my first assessment!)
* Learn your syllabus! Memorise it!
* Do some practice HSC questions
* Do some practice essays and get it marked
* Find some Acts and write it out, what part of Family it relates to etc. so come exam time, and you'll just need to whiff out your summary of your Acts and apply the relevant Acts to the question
* Same goes for cases

leoyh

mic`
HSC
cases you don't really need to know unless they're landmark cases where they set some sort of precedent or led to some statute being formed. and in terms of acts, don't remember anymore more than 6, as only a few acts in the family topic are significant like Family Law Act, Marriage Act, Family Provisions Act and others which i cant remember off the top of my head

chikabOo

HSC
hi ..

im working on my essay for family .. but i was wondering , is there anyway i could access like past papers of the HSC , like sample answer from students? that would be a MASSIVE help . im trying to figure out what to write about and getting an idea from a students past essay would be a BIG HELP !!!

help please . :eek:

lizzie08

HSC
something i have never forgotten is PAREE BARC. our teacher taught us at beginning of the course.

(individuals)
Protection of individual rights
Access
Resource efficiency
Enforceability
Equality

(society)
Balancing community rights
Appeals and reviews
Resource efficiency
Community standards

...hope it helps

llal

HSC
hey um about family law, well i have notes according to the syllabus and just keep going over them!!!....... i remember better if i read out loud!...... and yeah u gotta know your cases and legislation.

goodluck

llal

HSC
hey 'chikaboo' u wanted to know how to access past papers well if u go onto the actual board of studies and go to the resources center... then click on the subject you want followed by the title 'standards package' just keep going untill u find sample answers and then click on them.

hope u find it

goodluck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)