• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how do u study 4 uni??? (1 Viewer)

ok i have a few questions regarding this topic.
in da HSC i just use to do notes and then just learn them, if i didn't understand something i would just refer back to da textbook. I did that with all my subjects except maths and i worked for me, but the thing is the notes took too long to sometimes do.

My question is at uni do i do the same thing or how does everyone usually study at uni. i see the uni textbooks are really big, and for me to summarise that i need like a year (considering that i am slow), so what is the right way to go about things.

oh and another question do u take the textbooks with you 2 uni or how does it work.

and just incase ur wondering my course is gonna be something to do with business.

thanks

p.s can we stay on the topic this time, cause in da last thread i only got 3 people who anwsered my question out of 58 people to posted, so can we not dicuss what grades are good and what arn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Well you don't get a syllabus for a uni subject, you just get your weekly topic and reading list.

Basically as you go through your readings you should be highlighting and taking notes. At the end of 13 weeks if you have been a diligent little student you should have each week's summary and for the final exam you would just go over those notes.

If you have summarised your readings theres probably not a big need to bring your textbooks to the campus with you, but many people bring them as extra reference during tutorial discussions. You will rarely (if ever) use your textbook in a lecture.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
i said this in your last thread - but study past papers (especially if the same person that sets your exam has set previous questions) - in some of my exams this year questions were either exactly the same or very similar... my maths exam had pretty much all the same questions as previous years but with different numbers...

kartman

HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
i said this in your last thread - but study past papers (especially if the same person that sets your exam has set previous questions) - in some of my exams this year questions were either exactly the same or very similar... my maths exam had pretty much all the same questions as previous years but with different numbers...
thats a joke. whats the point of an exam if they do that:confused:

kartman

HSC
ballerinabarbie said:

kartman

HSC
ballerinabarbie said:

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Ironically, lol at our high school the exams set for like physics + chemistry were almost entirely the same as last years, you could say that exams are pointless, but then again, exams can't really measure what a student understands, rather what a student fully memorises and spits back out during an exam. XD Anyways, that's just my view...

Though for uni, they probably follow almost the same system, seeing how much time and effort must be utilised to create an entirely new exam each year for each subject...[XD If so, the professors there must have alot of spare time..]:)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Figure it out yourself and stop bothering people with these threads. If you are smart enough to do the HSC and get good enough marks to get into uni you should be able to work out how to study.

HSC
N/A
Actually reading the readings is incredibly important. Highlighting is good too.

However the difference between the HSC and Uni is that pure regurgitation doesn't guarentee that it'll save your butt. The MOST important thing in Uni subjects is that you actually UNDERSTAND the point of the course - eg you will be required to learn various "theories" in Business, but in the exams you'll be given a case study and have to apply this into practice. Sometimes you get really whacked up questions which the textbook and readings don't cover exactly... however they should have "indicated the right direction" and that's where your working understanding comes in.

Most of the time when you see people with textbooks at school is probably because they're finishing off homework in my opinion, lol. It's possible that they're studying though... :)

HSC
N/A
Rekkusu said:
Ironically, lol at our high school the exams set for like physics + chemistry were almost entirely the same as last years, you could say that exams are pointless, but then again, exams can't really measure what a student understands, rather what a student fully memorises and spits back out during an exam. XD Anyways, that's just my view...

Though for uni, they probably follow almost the same system, seeing how much time and effort must be utilised to create an entirely new exam each year for each subject...[XD If so, the professors there must have alot of spare time..]:)
Wrong wrong, and wrong again.

The exams are, in fact, there to measure what the students understand. They don't want to get regurgitated answers - they want to KNOW that a student knows what they're talking about. Like for business - who the heck cares if someone can memorise x amounts of definitions if they can't apply what they learnt into real life?

The HSC is greatly comprised of short-answer questions that for the most part, come straight off the syllabus. First-year Uni might be more "straight" like this (of course some subjects are an easy shoe-in), but don't expect it all to be. Three of my 5 questions I had to answer in ARTS100 in first semester were based off 1 hour, completely informal tutorial discussions. You gotta know your stuff - sometimes no textbook or reading is there to save your butt. You've got to do your own thinking.

OH and another thing:

Plaguarism. It's taken really seriously at University - I imagine a good 90% of HSC students "steal" various ideas and quotes off sources - you won't be allowed to do this in Uni. It's all got to be YOUR opinion and YOUR ideas unless you're clearly refering to someone else (in which case you go through the big fat referencing system. And yes you will be penalised if "someone else's ideas" form the bulk of most of your assessments)

In a nutshell - for the rote-learners out there, you had better learn how to form your own understandings of concepts otherwise you will be royally screwed in university.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Rekkusu - Exams at uni won't always be predictable. For example the questions on the physics exams (first year anyway, I haven't looked at other ones) at my uni vary quite a lot from year to year.

To do well it's best to make the effort to learn the material from every topic which is covered. Exams are generally unlikely to be able to test every aspect of the subject so if you get lazy in your study even for just one topic, you'll be stuffed if it comes up on the exam. It's better to be safe than sorry.

HSC
N/A
Benny1103 said:
Rekkusu - Exams at uni won't always be predictable. For example the questions on the physics exams (first year anyway, I haven't looked at other ones) at my uni vary quite a lot from year to year.

To do well it's best to make the effort to learn the material from every topic which is covered. Exams are generally unlikely to be able to test every aspect of the subject so if you get lazy in your study even for just one topic, you'll be stuffed if it comes up on the exam. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Quite true.

Most Uni courses tend to learn one or two new topics a week. Of these, only about 5-7+ (speaking for humanities/society and cultural studies side here) tend to be in the actual exam - but you never know which ones.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Referencing at uni is actually a really huge culture shock, so much more time and effort is required to make sure you've acknowledged everything as well as not relying too heavily on the one source of information...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)