How do u know what your school is ranked (1 Viewer)

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
Im just curious about where you can find out what rank your school is. Because i go to a government school in SW sydney which isn't a academic school in previous years and also currently. i'm worried about my UAI, does it effect my UAI if every one in my year is lets just say not very academic and no one has aspirations for uni with the exception of a couple of people. because i see in other threads that your school rank would effect your UAI. if that is true, then im screwed because im aiming for a UAI of early to mid 90s to get into the course i want.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Your school rank would impact the significance of your rank, but it doesn't intrinsicly alter your chance to get a good UAI.

What I mean is, coming 1st at JR means a lot more than coming first in my school, for example. But in itself, it doesn't mean that I'll get a lower mark because of my school, it'll be because the person who comes 1st at my school won't be as good.

santaslayer

HSC
If ur ranked first in ur subject, u wont be effected too much.....

SMH and daily tele publish the top 120 schools in nsw.....any school below is a mystery.....

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Estel
Your school rank would impact the significance of your rank, but it doesn't intrinsicly alter your chance to get a good UAI.

What I mean is, coming 1st at JR means a lot more than coming first in my school, for example. But in itself, it doesn't mean that I'll get a lower mark because of my school, it'll be because the person who comes 1st at my school won't be as good.
that should be bookmarked because you have said that better than anyone else!!

so, the reason people asking for uai or raw mark predictions are asked for their school is for that reason. not that it will affect their uai, but that if they are ranked 1 in ruse, it obviously corresponds to a very different mark than being ranked 1 in a school who never gets a student with a mark over 80

Originally posted by slinky
Im just curious about where you can find out what rank your school is.
anyway, i only know that you can get the top 120 which they publish in the paper after the hsc. after that, i don't know how you can get the other schools

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by speersy
cool my school is ranked 378
What do the other columns mean??
Exam Sat = The total number of HSC examinations sat by all students at that school.

DA = The total number of mentions that school had on the Distinguished Achievers' List (i.e. Band 6s).

% = DA divided by Exam Sat. The proportion of examination answers which resulted in Band 6s.

The schools are ranked by DA, rather than %. Whilst ranking schools by % would be 'better', neither method is really valid for the purpose of forming a league table. You should be wary of using these ranks for anything.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
thx, zarathustra, i wanted tat ...

speersy

HSC
N/A
Thanks i am just using the table as an indication of how smart my school was. This will help me better evaluate my performance, so i can know wether i have to try more.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
I'm glad that the schools are ranked on total number of band 6s (my school came 40th - on percentages it would be >120 - because of the huge year 12 - about 400) This is misleading as small schools with high performing students are not recognised but I think its 6 to one half a dozen to the other- maybe its a biased view:p .

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hehe, 395...oh well, thats not too bad outta nearly 600....lol, we beat kurri high, thats all that matters!

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Zarathustra
I found this file - a link from this forum - its from pre-UNI and as band 6s are publicly available (I think) it should be reliable - despite the atrocious spelling:p
ranking by DA does nothing, some schools are bigger than others

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Zarathustra
I found this file - a link from this forum - its from pre-UNI and as band 6s are publicly available (I think) it should be reliable - despite the atrocious spelling:p
i'm surprised there aren't any 0 band 6 schools

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It's because the list was done using DA.

Only those people who achieved band 6 will appear in the DA list. So there won't be any in that list.

I'm more surprised that there are so many schools!

untamedanimal

like iambored said, the correct way that it should be ranked is using the %, because this makes it fair, because schools with 1000 exams sat obviously will have more DA then one with 300

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I think there is something wrong with the list....it's impossible...there are only like 1000 at my school....no way 600+ people sat the exam in 2002. and the same goes for some of the other schools....hurlstone, for example...there is no way 1000 people sat the exam.

untamedanimal

Thats not how much students sat the exam, its how much exams were done all together. SO in your school, 600 exams were sat. Say each person sits 6 exams, therefore there are 100 people in you're school that did the HSC exams, multiplied by the number of per person will give the total exams sat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)