How do u get in2 medicine?? (1 Viewer)

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
heya
i was jus wonderin whether a UAI is needed at all to get into medicine at sydney uni. bcaoz i heard its a postgraduate course so shud it count?
thanx

Huy

HSC
N/A
Undergraduate is only offered at UNC and UNSW.

428000 B Arts/B Medicine/B Surgery (UNSW)
428000 B Medicine/B Surgery (UNSW)

480720 B Medicine (UNC)

There are no undergraduate or postgraduate medicine courses at Usyd, as far as I know.

Perhaps you are thinking of post-graduate dentistry instead.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by krn_boy
There is med. at Sydney Uni, but it's post graduate.
I haven't seen it at the UAC website (PG, not UG).

Do you know the course code?

edit
The University of Sydney isn't even listed at UAC -PG. That's why I couldn't find any Medicine/Surgery degrees (PG) at Usyd. :rolleyes:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Huy
I haven't seen it at the UAC website (PG, not UG).

Do you know the course code?

edit
The University of Sydney isn't even listed at UAC -PG. That's why I couldn't find any Medicine/Surgery degrees (PG) at Usyd. :rolleyes:
You can't apply to graduate medicine through UAC, u need to apply directly to USyd and do the GAMSTAT.
The Graduate Medicine program at USyd is not a postgraduate degree - it is technically an Undergraduate degree (Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery)

For the original question: To get into Med at USyd, u need a bachelor degree in any area completed with a GPA of at least 5.5 (halfway through credit and distinction average), and need to successfully complete the GAMSTAT

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
You can't apply to graduate medicine through UAC, u need to apply directly to USyd and do the GAMSTAT.
I see. I'm just an undergraduate so I've never 'researched' any postgraduate degrees other than Dentistry - which requires GAMSAT (I believe this is what you were referring to, getting mixed up with STAT). Yes, technically it is an undergraduate degree, but as you've stated, it requires the completion of any degree in any area - most would classify Medicine @Uysd to be post-graduate. UAC do have a post-graduate section and that's where I was trying to source my information, so that's why I made the post above, in saying that there are no medicine/surgery degrees available at Usyd (as far as UAC applications and the post-graduate application procedure is concerned).

Graduate Australian Medical Schools Admissions Test
http://www.acer.edu.au/unitest/gradentrymedd/gamsat.html

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
fashionista, you do realise there are direct options to get into med right, such as at UNSW and UNewcastle? These are undergraduate courses (6 and 5 years respectively), and they admit students based on ranking of: UAI + UMAT (GAMSAT's little brother) + interview.

if you require any more info, feel free to give me a PM.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
thanx evry1!!
if i happen to not get as good a UAI as i hope can i still get into post graduate medicine?? does it matter which course u do before applying for pstgraduate?? and wen applying for postgraduate UAI doesnt count does it??

Huy

HSC
N/A
if i happen to not get as good a UAI as i hope can i still get into post graduate medicine??
Yes, it's not impossible.
does it matter which course u do before applying for pstgraduate??
No, I don't think it does.
wen applying for postgraduate UAI doesnt count does it??
No, I don't believe they look at your UAI as a selection criteria. eg undergraduates would have their UAI, UMAT results and Interview performance looked at, whilst post-graduate students would have their Tertiary education (Distinctions, Credits, Pass, etc) looked at, as well as performance in the GAMSAT. I think that's it for postgraduate, but I could be wrong here as you might have an Interview process following the GAMSAT (like they did with UMAT).

:)

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
thank u thank u!!!!!!!!!
:D:D:D now wish me luck for my bluddy year of hell otherwise known as year 12 grrrrrr(whoever thort of the hsc shud be shot)

Huy

HSC
N/A
You're planning very early, I didn't think of Med until UMAT applications were due in. :lol:

Good luck! :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
I think it was recommended that you do HSC Chemistry, but not a prerequisite. They also recommended that HSC Biology be undertaken, but again, this isn't a prerequisite.

I might be wrong, but that's what I can (scarcely) remember, there are no pre-requisites, but it is recommended that Chemistry (and/or?) Biology be previously studied. I'm pretty sure I read something about Chemistry though, but you shouldn't worry if you don't do those subjects, it's only recommended, not assumed knowledge. :)

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
for post graduate medicine u need to do GAMSAT rite? wut's it like? is it anyting like the UMAT????

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
fashion there no such thing as post graduate well i dun fink there is

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
fashionista,

Yes. Difficult. Yes and no?

http://www.acer.edu.au

There should be a tests/universities section.

suki, there are "post graduate" courses - which require the completion of a degree. But as Minai has pointed out, it is technically an undergraduate degree.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
wuts the minimum that u shud get in each section of the GAMSAT?? like the minimum needed for medical entry in each section of the UMAT is 85%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)