How do u become a tutor? (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I wanna become a psychology tutor (probably not next year, tho if i could that'd be fun), but i can't find any information.

so how do u become a tutor at the uni?

N.B. i mean an official university tutor, rather than freelance

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I don't know for sure but from what I hear from my tutors, honours students are often invited to tutor when they are in their final year or close to it. Or else, they are research students OR they simply have fantastic marks (like HD average or high D average) and know the faculty well.

2 of my tutors are honours students. 1 is a Phd student and the other, a lecturer.

In psych, alot of the tutors seemed to be research grad students.

salsydney

HSC
my bro was an undergrad engg tutor, and was asked to do it based on his grades... think thats generally the way to get that job as an undergrad

A

adamsaclown

some schools, e.g. IT, have a tutor registration system where you can go and apply. Most of my IT tutors have been PhD students, though I know of a guy who accelerated like crazy and is now tutoring first year classes in his fourth semester of uni.

psych on the other hand yeah, they all seem to be PhD/DCP/grad students, so I'm guessing they have some internal system/process of giving the jobs to them.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
you apply for being a tutor if your doing post grad, masters or PhD, they select the best ones as there are heaps of people that apply each year..so yeah.

A

adamsaclown

it depends on the subject though - as I said, there's a guy who's in 2nd year (but overloaded so he's finishing his degree this year), who's tutoring first year software. I think he came first though within the subject area in first year.

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
It depends on the individual schools. In IT a good 3rd year student can get a tutoring job, whereas in many other subject areas you need to be doing at least honours.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah, marketing you have to be an honours student. which sucks. I think I could do just a good a job. I've almost completed my major, and have an HD average in the subject. But nooo.

teehee

HSC
i know for some subjects like acct and software if u get like a D or HD u get an email asking if your interested in being a tutor.

psyc tho u gotta be at least doing honours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)