How do time table allocations work? (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
This is for UTS but i'm sure others will be able to answer. I'm sorry if i have the terms and stuff mixed up. Basically i was already automatically allocated to some things, and selected two times earlier and am now finishing my first semester time table - it seems that one subject that I will be allocated to in week 1 will have a time table clash no matter which one i'm allocated to (i.e. starts the minute another subject is ending). What happens there? The page doesn't allow me to select anything and there is a heap of options (classes?) to choose but only 3 different, but all clashing, times. Is it possible that UTS might change these times as many other students are likely going to have the same problem as me, is that perhaps why they have delayed it until week 1?

EDIT: Even if there were no clashes, what is it like? Do the lectures, tutes, seminars etc. start exactly on time and end exactly on time? If there is a few minutes there it could make everything far more convenient.

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
Generally class finish at 5 to the hour and start at 5 past, so there's a 10 minute gap to get to your next lecture. Having classes timetable directly after each other isn't a clash- its normal. The only time it would be an actual clash would be if the classes were on different campuses and you need more than 10 minutes to travel.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh, generally it won't be a problem having classes back to back.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Hmm, ok i wasn't sure because everything starts and ends on the hour on the thing. For a first year, first semester student would it be a bad idea to have a few back to back classes? At the moment ill have an 11 hour day on monday with 2 2 hour breaks, but it would be possible for me to shift one class to Tuesday and end 5 hours earlier - but it means 3 back to back classes in a row on the Tuesday. The other benefit of that is it fills a 3 hour gap in Tuesday. It would be Lecture, Seminar, Lecture. Lectures are pretty easy to leave early/arrive late to right? (or not go at all i hear, but i wouldn't do that). Majority of my classes won't be back to back though, just those 3 and another somewhere else because i don't think ill have a choice.

Also is anyone familiar with the UTS time tabling thing, if i want to swap things can i just click the link for another time and it well change me to that as long as it's not full? I think i'll finish that off tonight before 9 just incase theres heaps of keen people getting main round offers taking the classes i want haha. Then i'll email or call someone from UTS and see what they think.

Besides all that, does attendance in uni really matter a lot? I missed hardly any days at school and i dont think ill just be skipping lectures in uni like some people do, but if i am late to some classes due to timetabling would there be any disadvantage besides missing a few minutes of whatever it is? I guess ALL these questions will be answered at orientation week but that's a bit late when i have to come up with a timetable now.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm, ok i wasn't sure because everything starts and ends on the hour on the thing. For a first year, first semester student would it be a bad idea to have a few back to back classes? At the moment ill have an 11 hour day on monday with 2 2 hour breaks, but it would be possible for me to shift one class to Tuesday and end 5 hours earlier - but it means 3 back to back classes in a row on the Tuesday. The other benefit of that is it fills a 3 hour gap in Tuesday. It would be Lecture, Seminar, Lecture. Lectures are pretty easy to leave early/arrive late to right? (or not go at all i hear, but i wouldn't do that). Majority of my classes won't be back to back though, just those 3 and another somewhere else because i don't think ill have a choice.
Lectures usually start about 5-10 minutes late and end about 5-10 minutes early (most do, some end right on time if there's a lot to cover), tutes/seminars mostly start about 3-4 minutes in, and end about 3-4 minutes early, if it's back to back, it doesn't really matter, you'll usually make it in time, even if you're a few minutes late (suppose you go from building 1/10 to building 5 it does take a bit of time) but it wont really matter, the lecturers and tutors are aware people may have back to back classes and wont say anything.

Lectures you can leave early/arrive late or not attend at all, up to you, but you should still go unless the lecturer is absolute rubbish and makes no sense.

With the 3 back to back classes, as long as it's about 3-4 hours, you can handle it, I had 9-3 straight no breaks in second semester last year on one of the days, wasn't any issue at all, the other day was 9-5 with 2 small breaks, and tbh the earlier you finish in the day the easier it is.

Also is anyone familiar with the UTS time tabling thing, if i want to swap things can i just click the link for another time and it well change me to that as long as it's not full? I think i'll finish that off tonight before 9 just incase theres heaps of keen people getting main round offers taking the classes i want haha. Then i'll email or call someone from UTS and see what they think.
Yeah you can just click it and it'll swap you as long as there's room and there aren't any direct clashes.

Besides all that, does attendance in uni really matter a lot? I missed hardly any days at school and i dont think ill just be skipping lectures in uni like some people do, but if i am late to some classes due to timetabling would there be any disadvantage besides missing a few minutes of whatever it is? I guess ALL these questions will be answered at orientation week but that's a bit late when i have to come up with a timetable now.
Not really, lectures dont have attendance marked (if the lecturer is a bitch they might do that, I've only heard of it, haven't come across it yet), tutes - some are marked some aren't, which aren't you dont have to attend, which are well you obviously have to go, being late and what not, doesn't really matter as long as you're not too late (more than about 10ish minutes) even then they wont care that much if it's a one off thing.

fucked

HSC
When i click on My Preferences nothing comes up except for valid at (current time), all my activity groups are set to allocation adjustment if that information is of importance...
did i do my timetable right? :$

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
err, I have no idea what you mean?

Did you go to mystudentadmin and select the subjects? and after that go to 'mysubjects' (google mysubjects uts) and pick your classes?

fucked

HSC
yeah i did do that, but after that do you just log out, is that it? there's no confirmation button or anything ??

honsaw

HSC
N/A
I wanted to select my classes one after the other finishes but i
don't know if my classes are going to be close to each other or not. So i have
like a 2 hour break between one tutorial and lecture.. which i think is a waste of time..

friend177

HSC
you doing Engineering/commerce to right? do you choose 4 subjects a semester when u enrol for ur timetable

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
4 subjects a semester is the normal full time student, you can also pick 3 and remain full time, UTS doesn't let you do any more than 4 unless you request it.

friend177

HSC
This is for UTS but i'm sure others will be able to answer. I'm sorry if i have the terms and stuff mixed up. Basically i was already automatically allocated to some things, and selected two times earlier and am now finishing my first semester time table - it seems that one subject that I will be allocated to in week 1 will have a time table clash no matter which one i'm allocated to (i.e. starts the minute another subject is ending). What happens there? The page doesn't allow me to select anything and there is a heap of options (classes?) to choose but only 3 different, but all clashing, times. Is it possible that UTS might change these times as many other students are likely going to have the same problem as me, is that perhaps why they have delayed it until week 1?

EDIT: Even if there were no clashes, what is it like? Do the lectures, tutes, seminars etc. start exactly on time and end exactly on time? If there is a few minutes there it could make everything far more convenient.
Dude, what subjects did you choose for first semester, did you follow the program course?

HSCAREA

HSC
N/A
I lol'd when the help window said "this system is not based on first in, first serve" yeah right my arse.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
so it is ok to have a tutorial then a lecture striaght after? i'm just afraid i won't make it on time,
like if you have exams..

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You rarely have exams in class, maybe speeches/quizzes, but they do wait about 10 minutes after the start normally, they wont kill you. I had 6 hours straight last semester on 1 day, it all went fine :)

honsaw

HSC
N/A
oh ok, so i can have 2 classes one after the other. So are exams usually held during lecture times?
Also, are the classes near each other? i'm going to study business at uts.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Exams are usually held during the mid-sem or final exam period, so you don't have classes in that time (mostly, unless it's a quiz which will be in class).

Most business classes/lectures would be in Building 1/2/3/4 which are relatively close to each other and building 5 which is a 10 min walk from building 1.

ShinjAngel

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry for hijacking, but how do i enrol into a class which is full? The system somehow booted me out of the class and now I can't get back in T_T. It's the only class! I have 1 slot for it, but it's a seminar (what's a seminar??) and there are no details on it. So the staff are TBA, and there's no location or description or anything.

Please help! (sort of panicking)

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Exams are usually held during the mid-sem or final exam period, so you don't have classes in that time (mostly, unless it's a quiz which will be in class).

Most business classes/lectures would be in Building 1/2/3/4 which are relatively close to each other and building 5 which is a 10 min walk from building 1.
If i have a tutorial at building 5 then lecture at building 4. Will i make it on time?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)