how do they calculate state rankings for easier subjects (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
just started doing past hsc papers and i can consistently get close to 100% (only a few silly mistakes when i'm not paying attn) for easier subs like 2u and 3u maffs

so i'd imagine this would be the norm, since it's so easy to get 100% raw in 3u, how do they calculate state ranks?

thx br8s

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
"The Top Achievers in Course List shows the students in the top places in each course, provided they have also achieved Band 6 or Band E4, as appropriate. The number of students reported depends on the course candidature. Students are ranked by their HSC mark. Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of their examination marks and their assessment marks, each taken to one decimal place. In the case of extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration when students are tied."

powlmao

Banned
HSC
"The Top Achievers in Course List shows the students in the top places in each course, provided they have also achieved Band 6 or Band E4, as appropriate. The number of students reported depends on the course candidature. Students are ranked by their HSC mark. Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of their examination marks and their assessment marks, each taken to one decimal place. In the case of extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration when students are tied."
So like the difference for a state ranking in 3U can be doing 4U?

K

khorne

This is incorrect. They actually take all the potential state rankers into a large hall where the air con is on really cold, and make them jelly wrestle each other.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
This is incorrect. They actually take all the potential state rankers into a large hall where the air con is on really cold, and make them jelly wrestle each other.
QFT

It's actually surprisingly entertaining

powlmao

Banned
HSC
They do this at my school to see who deserves to use the only textbook we have

khfreakau

HSC
you make me wanna crawl into a corner and die :cry:
He speaks truth tho, 3u is pretty easy. none of the questions are even remotely challenging until q7, and even then they're doable :S

Anyway for state ranks, you've got all the people who randomly get 100 in the exam and were ranked first in internal - they'll all get a state rank of first. That's why maths is always the subject with the most tied state ranks - just take a look at last year.
After you get all those people, you start going lower down the food chain with a combination of internal/external marks, and remember that they do calculate state ranks to one decimal place which is not shown on your HSC mark.

Last edited:

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
He speaks truth tho, 3u is pretty easy. none of the questions are even remotely challenging until q7, and even then they're doable :S
hav to agree wit this. 3 unit is very much about speed. i no a guy who state ranked in 3 unit and he said he finished the exam in 40 minutes. so as long as u no ur stuff its pretty much a race to get maximum time to chek for silly errors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)