How do misadventures affect your ATAR? (1 Viewer)

ClassOf2013

HSC
I applied for Misadventure in three exams due to the fact I live in Springwood and I was evacuated due to bushfires during the HSC, as well as the constant sirens/helicopters overhead distracting me at home. The supervisor wrote 'lost time 10 minutes' due to stress relating to the bushfires for all of them (General Maths, Economics and Business). What affect would it have on my ATAR, I honestly have no idea how this works?

JBee

HSC
Ok so I live in springwood too and was told by our year coordinator this is how it would work...
Well fill out our own misadventures as to what exams were affected, and the school provides the 'evidence' (bushfire obviously).
Then, if your assessment mark is higher than your exam mark (with aligning and everything), then BOS concludes that you performed below expectations and instead of using the average of exam + internal mark, they purely use internal mark for your final mark. If your exam mark is better or the same as internal mark, they do the process like normal and basically ignore the misadventure.

For exams that you lost time in etc I'm not sure because that didn't happen to me, sorry :/
Hope that makes sense

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Ok so I live in springwood too and was told by our year coordinator this is how it would work...
Well fill out our own misadventures as to what exams were affected, and the school provides the 'evidence' (bushfire obviously).
Then, if your assessment mark is higher than your exam mark (with aligning and everything), then BOS concludes that you performed below expectations and instead of using the average of exam + external mark, they purely use internal mark for your final mark. If your exam mark is better or the same as external mark, they do the process like normal and basically ignore the misadventure.

For exams that you lost time in etc I'm not sure because that didn't happen to me, sorry :/
Hope that makes sense
Fixed it.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Then, if your assessment mark is higher than your exam mark (with aligning and everything), then BOS concludes that you performed below expectations and instead of using the average of exam + internal mark, they purely use internal mark for your final mark. If your exam mark is better or the same as internal mark, they do the process like normal and basically ignore the misadventure.

Hope that makes sense
idgi, if you didn't do the exam then how do they use the exam marks? Also which exam mark are you talking about? Trials?

ClassOf2013

HSC

Hope that makes sense
May I ask what school? My school (St Paul's Grammar) isn't even in the Blue Mountains (although a lot of the students come from there) and they've been heavily pushing students to apply for misadventure too, even those who don't live in the Blue Mountains (due to friends living there I guess).

JBee

HSC
May I ask what school? My school (St Paul's Grammar) isn't even in the Blue Mountains (although a lot of the students come from there) and they've been heavily pushing students to apply for misadventure too, even those who don't live in the Blue Mountains (due to friends living there I guess).
St Columba's.. yeah our whole year is getting a misadventure, but I'm not sure how it works if you didn't even sit the exam (we all got transferred to sit our exams at McCarthy in emu plains), so as far as I know only like one person wasn't able to at least attempt the exam

ClassOf2013

HSC
St Columba's.. yeah our whole year is getting a misadventure, but I'm not sure how it works if you didn't even sit the exam (we all got transferred to sit our exams at McCarthy in emu plains), so as far as I know only like one person wasn't able to at least attempt the exam
Yeah, there was one student at our school (lost his house in the fire and had to stay with relatives who lived on the Central Coast or something like that) who couldn't attend exams. I think the BoS will treat you guys at St Columbas (and Springwood High) the same because you did actually sit your exams, just at a different centre. But obviously there is a big misadventure that will be taken into account there.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I highly doubt that the BOS will uphold that as a legitimate reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)