How do I write quicker? (1 Viewer)

Beckleman

HSC
Hi all, I'm struggling to write essays under 45 minutes. Sometimes I can't write a 3 body paragraph essay within the given time, let alone 4 bodies for other subjects. Any tips?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I can think of 3 tips that you may wish to consider in an attempt to improve your writing speed:
  • Try writing in cursive (if you are not already). The ability to effectively write in cursive can increase your writing speed, mainly because as opposed to script, you do not need to lift the pen after each letter. While the time difference may seem negligible, it eventually becomes significant, particularly as you are required to write one or multiple essays, meaning you may be able to gain a few extra minutes by using this strategy. Maximising the effectiveness of this approach would entail using a fountain pen, which does not require as much pressure applied as would a regular pen, potentially saving you some additional time.
  • Get used to one pen. Solely and regularly using one particular pen starting now allows you to get used to writing with this pen. The more you practise writing using this particular pen, the more used to it you will become, and the higher your chance of improving your writing speed.
  • Attach batteries to your pen. While there are both positive and negative opinions on the effectiveness of this method (based on the experience of students who previously used this strategy), your own experience will likely be unique in this regard, meaning that it probably isn't a bad idea to give this a try. The general goal of this strategy is to increase your writing speed by removing the batteries after having used this strategy for an adequate period of time. When you remove the batteries, the pen will likely feel lighter, and this factor is intended to give you the ability to write faster.
I hope this helps! :D

Suz D

HSC
Hi all, I'm struggling to write essays under 45 minutes. Sometimes I can't write a 3 body paragraph essay within the given time, let alone 4 bodies for other subjects. Any tips?
It might be a bit too late now, but:

1. Past HSC papers (even if what you are writing it terrible). I tend to notice that I write a lot faster in exam conditions. If I am at home writing a practice essay I may only get 3-4 pages, whereas the same essay in an exam I might get 5-7 pages (remember, HSC writing paper is actually a lot smaller). Exam conditions help a lot.

2. Analyze the question and plan. Write down relevant dot points, memorize quotes and already have answers in mind. (especially for English or Art). Have your set themes already prepared to insert into the question (e.g. "How did the human experiences in The Crucible shape the character's actions?" change to "How does fear in the Crucible shape the character's actions?")

3. Stretch your hands/warm them up. Your fingers will hurt. Whenever I finish an essay I have bruises along my fingers. If you are writing and your hand starts to hurt, ignore it and keep writing.

4. Get into the right mindset. Exam conditions will definitely help with this.

5. Don't be vague in your answers. Add lots of detail and reasoning to your answers.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Attach 5x duracell batteries on your pen. When exam day comes remove them and watch your hands fly.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
keep ur hands warm before the exam

I have this problem where my hands and feet are always cold even on the hottest of days. with cold numb hands I would struggle to write quickly and even my pen grip would be weird asf, so it was always crucial for me to warm up my hands or at least make them room temperature. heat packs or wool gloves did the job, or stealing warmth from someone else's hands lol

perhaps you also struggle with cold hands and it's slowing ur writing down

another suggestion, maybe you've reached your writing speed limit* and there's really nothing else you can do to get faster. in this case, just cut down on how much you're writing (even taking off just 100 words can help), it's quality over quantity after all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)