• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how do i study FOR MODERN (1 Viewer)

Shamz

HSC
N/A
hi guys

i was wondering wat is the best way to study for history, i need help i should start studying i want to get in the 80's, late 80's so plz can someone help

i need topics for essays like on russia and stuff N E suggestions plz THANKSSSSSS

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
do all set hw (yes, even if its tedious), summarise dot points and write many practice essay...there...simple, there is no magic way out of all that anyway :p

astro

HSC
well i just typed notes in pt form and also highlighted important bits.....pretty basic, i know

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
practice essays.... doing millions of them... i type all my notes under the syllubus headings (except that doesn't work for cold war i've found) and then do heaps of practice essays, and then do practice essays in 40 minutes without the aid of notes and type these for my teacher to mark...
seems to work with me

For Russia i've posted a heap of essays on a link above...um its got a little important sticker thingy and its all essays questions - it shold give u a couple to keep busy with

Cheers Mel

Last edited:

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
It's called a memory combined with typed notes (preferably subdivided into key headings), also good to have chronological notes.
It's called doing squillions of practice essays. My teacher has just introduced a weekly practice essay question...GAHHH...It's killing me.
It's called finding the time.

KarmaKitten

HSC
i dont think you need to practise millions of essays.just look at the general type of questions they usually ask.

study what you need to know but always remember that knowledge is useless if you cant relate it to the question.
so when you learn a piece of information, always think to yourself "why is this important to my study of etc etc"

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Practise essays.... I wish I had done more of them. Also, make sure you have summaries in your own words of all your topics. A good way to memorize dates is to make up flashcards with the event on one side and the date it happened on the other side and then quiz yourself. Also, timelines can be helpful... before the HSC I got some butchers paper and had a massive timeline for Indochina and Germany all along the wall of my bedroom.... it helps to visually see the order of things, where events fit in to the period, and hence not get events jumbled up. It also helps to get things in chronological order and makes it easier to remember dates.

Another thing I did was read extensively. Find every textbook you can on the topic and read the entire topic like you are reading a novel.... it might not sound effective but broad understanding of the social context is very helpful and makes it easier to learn the nitty gritty details in my opinion.

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
all i did was summaries under the syllabus dot points and a few parctice essays that i thought could arise in the exam. u really dont need to put in that much effort, i didnt and i got a band 6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)