How do I get out of a productivity slump (2 Viewers)

aqwerty13402

HSC
I'll try and keep this concise but its gotten to the point where I need to ask for help. Ever since my exam block last term ended I've been in such a slump with my productivity. I had a break during the holidays but I couldn't get back into the swing of things, and I am really struggling to now. Today I had no work / training after school and all I got done was 1 out of 2 maths adv exercises. Is this normal? I've been through slumps before but not quite like this.

I've already tried the 'just sit and do it.' I am usually extremely disciplined and I can ignore push through but I genuinely am not capable at the moment. Is this burn out or something? Idk I just need helP!

JUST ANY TIPS PLEASE :cry:

katiekms

HSC
I'll try and keep this concise but its gotten to the point where I need to ask for help. Ever since my exam block last term ended I've been in such a slump with my productivity. I had a break during the holidays but I couldn't get back into the swing of things, and I am really struggling to now. Today I had no work / training after school and all I got done was 1 out of 2 maths adv exercises. Is this normal? I've been through slumps before but not quite like this.

I've already tried the 'just sit and do it.' I am usually extremely disciplined and I can ignore push through but I genuinely am not capable at the moment. Is this burn out or something? Idk I just need helP!

don’t worry i’m going through the same thing (except it’s been for all of this year… and the year before. end of year 10 was tough lol) and the only thing i can say is put yourself in situations that force you to get it done. for example i sometimes tell my friends/family that i will start something at whatever time, so that they question me about it at that time and if i haven’t done it then i’d be a bit embarrassed if that makes sense. stuff like that. you could also try using dopamine to your advantage by doing stuff like, if i get blah done then i can go on my phone for 5 min/have a sweet treat/etc, and then if i get more done i get even more rewards, etc. personally it’s really about tricking my brain into being forced to do it in order to be happy. burnout sucks.

aqwerty13402

HSC
don’t worry i’m going through the same thing (except it’s been for all of this year… and the year before. end of year 10 was tough lol) and the only thing i can say is put yourself in situations that force you to get it done. for example i sometimes tell my friends/family that i will start something at whatever time, so that they question me about it at that time and if i haven’t done it then i’d be a bit embarrassed if that makes sense. stuff like that. you could also try using dopamine to your advantage by doing stuff like, if i get blah done then i can go on my phone for 5 min/have a sweet treat/etc, and then if i get more done i get even more rewards, etc. personally it’s really about tricking my brain into being forced to do it in order to be happy. burnout sucks.
thank u legend, ill give it a crack tmrw :redface:

ButteryNucleotide

HSC

i think to start studying, even just a bit, try to spruce up and embellish your environment where you study (i.e. ur desk, room etc.) so that you feel more motivated to study. where you study and how it looks or feels can really impact your mood. you could also study in an alternative environment like a cafe or even at a quiet library where u can really zone into your work. for me personally, the pressure of other people there and just the energy keeps me super focused on studying. eventually try to work on getting a certain number of study hours a day, and u can start off easy like just half an hour a day, until u build up ur study stamina up further to a couple hours a day or more (whatever ur goals are). the earlier u start, the better!

good luck, aqwerty :biglaugh:

ziGma

HSC
Bro @aqwerty13402 you and I are the same, I was so productive during the six week holidays and suddenly Ive entered a slump as well. You summarised it good bro cause I had no idea what was happening to me. Someone help us.

I think all the comeptiton at my school's also been stressing me out :(

nitto

HSC

i think honestly one of the best things to do is be kind to yourself. obviously there are important things you need to do, but from my experience going hardcore through usually just delays the burnout and piles up into a bigger slump later. but start setting the tasks you need to do, i personally use a whiteboard and google calendar, and then pick off at them. kind of like going to the gym, increase the amount of things you do within a day / allocated study block slowly. if its procrastination, a really neat trick is to procrastinate procrastination if that makes sense, like delaying the amount of time it takes you to get your phone or watch netflix. set yourself allocated downtimes as well and use that as a reward for pushing through a few tasks so that your brain recognises that in order to get the dopamine, you need to do the tasks. i hope this helps, these are just a few things that help me :) nearly there now, about 5 months left

aqwerty13402

HSC
i think to start studying, even just a bit, try to spruce up and embellish your environment where you study (i.e. ur desk, room etc.) so that you feel more motivated to study. where you study and how it looks or feels can really impact your mood. you could also study in an alternative environment like a cafe or even at a quiet library where u can really zone into your work. for me personally, the pressure of other people there and just the energy keeps me super focused on studying. eventually try to work on getting a certain number of study hours a day, and u can start off easy like just half an hour a day, until u build up ur study stamina up further to a couple hours a day or more (whatever ur goals are). the earlier u start, the better!

good luck, aqwerty :biglaugh:
thank youuuu :redface:

aqwerty13402

HSC
i think honestly one of the best things to do is be kind to yourself. obviously there are important things you need to do, but from my experience going hardcore through usually just delays the burnout and piles up into a bigger slump later. but start setting the tasks you need to do, i personally use a whiteboard and google calendar, and then pick off at them. kind of like going to the gym, increase the amount of things you do within a day / allocated study block slowly. if its procrastination, a really neat trick is to procrastinate procrastination if that makes sense, like delaying the amount of time it takes you to get your phone or watch netflix. set yourself allocated downtimes as well and use that as a reward for pushing through a few tasks so that your brain recognises that in order to get the dopamine, you need to do the tasks. i hope this helps, these are just a few things that help me :) nearly there now, about 5 months left
AAAAAH, THIS IS A GOOD ONE. THXXX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)