How do deaf people Learn at Uni? (1 Viewer)

Doomah

HSC
How do deaf peopl listen to lectures? How do they know what the lecturer or tutor is saying in class?

they maybe able to lip read a bit but when it comes to scientific words they never heard of that would be pretty impossible.

anyway just been wondering :jaw:

bubbly89

HSC
Well deaf people are pretty good at lip reading, they have been lip reading their entire lives after all.

When my brother broke his colarbone and arm, he told the university and they had someone scribe his notes. He didn't know who they were but he got the notes until his arm healed. Maybe deaf people have that arrangment going on.

Also I haven't actually ever met a fully deaf person, most can hear a bit, and hearing aids enhance that.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Oh yeah, some deaf people have "Note takers" who are people who get paid (i think) to take notes for a deaf person during a lecture, so that a deaf person can focus on what the lecturer is explaining.

chromaKi

HSC
At the ANU in many of the lecture halls, we have an active T-switch conductor loop installed. It's about 5 rows deep from the front.

sunny

meh.
HSC
OT, but there was a lecturer at UNSW that was deaf (only heard this 2nd hand), she had an assistant and interpreted what students said to her in sign language. Funny thing is most students didn't realise she was deaf until she said...

Evilo

HSC
There is a deaf chick in my psyc lectures. They have a person who translates in sign language who stands between the lecturer and the chick. Actually sometimes it gets a bit distracting because you want to see what the 'sign' word for psyc jargon is ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)