How did your maths 1/2 yearly go? (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
i normally hate people who do well at maths coz they make me look bad :chainsaw:

kirabolton

HSC
Half my class ended up getting 'N Awards' as a result of how badly we all did on the half - yearly's. The average was about 20/60, and having failed every maths test for 4 years i figured that'd be me too, but i got 37!!! Thank god the 40 bucks a week for maths tutoring is kind of paying off!

smik chik

Lisamac
HSC
I got 48% in my half yearly which sucked. I'm ranked 10th so thats not so bad. Hopefully i can do better in my next assessment.

goan_crazy

HSC
smik chik said:
I got 48% in my half yearly which sucked. I'm ranked 10th so thats not so bad. Hopefully i can do better in my next assessment.
i got 48% for my 1st assessment and 47% for my 2nd
my 1/2 yearly was better :) i actually passed
it was an improvement 4 me

azza_3761

HSC
I got 64% for half -yearlies which i thought was good cos the top mark was 72.5% and that was from a 3 unit student. Ranked 3rd out of 10

You would expect a math teacher to be able to add up properly when marking an exam wouldn't you?

Last edited:

*mel*

joe_m_2000 said:
i normally hate people who do well at maths coz they make me look bad :chainsaw:
i agree!! and when u tell em ur mark, they're like "oh that's really good..." and then complain about theirs which is like 98%

goan_crazy

HSC
**MeL**88 said:
i agree!! and when u tell em ur mark, they're like "oh that's really good..." and then complain about theirs which is like 98%
yep we had 90% then 77 somethin then 67
all 3 unit droppers
and i got 64%
the person who got 77 complained that she did shit while her friend was crying coz she failed
how slack is that
i hate how people r so competitive! it shits me!

*mel*

joe_m_2000 said:
yep we had 90% then 77 somethin then 67
all 3 unit droppers
and i got 64%
the person who got 77 complained that she did shit while her friend was crying coz she failed
how slack is that
i hate how people r so competitive! it shits me!

awww yeah... i was disappointed in my mark but i didn't fail. my friend who sits next to me got 46% so i didn't complain...

it's just common decency

test shouldn't be competitions... the only person u should try to beat is urself, u know beating previous marks

goan_crazy

HSC
Not even that
if u set yourself a goal or a standard, your aim is to try and achieve that
so i got 63% for my 1/2 yearly
my aim is to get over 70 for the next assessment

Pace_T

HSC
**MeL**88 said:
awww yeah... i was disappointed in my mark but i didn't fail. my friend who sits next to me got 46% so i didn't complain...

it's just common decency

test shouldn't be competitions... the only person u should try to beat is urself, u know beating previous marks

im going to have to disagree with you there...

common decency is taking the time to help others with q's they can't do whenever you can spare a few mins. regardless of how competitive they are. as long as they dont put those down who recieved lower scores..
some people have different standards. wtf is wrong with someone expecting 90% and recieved 70%. of course the person has the right to be pissed off. if everybody set their standards to the dumbest person's standards in their class they'd all go shit, no doubt bout it

competition is not bad at all. its for motivation. without it you'd lose you're sense of direction

how can you beat you're previous marks when each and every test has a different difficulty. you'd just get pissed off at yourself if u don't get high marks even though it was a hard test. you HAVE to look at your peers marks and compare your self with others.
as for high achievers putting their peers down for the lower scores they achieved is a whole different story..

goan_crazy

HSC
high achievers do put people who did badly down
thats the thing

Pace_T

HSC
heh not my in school man

so do the marjority of high achievers put the others down?
that's pretty mean,
cause like, in my school the smartest people in each class of mine always help the others out no matter what.
i guess my school is pretty different then huh lol!
but can u give me an example or scenario how ppl put others down? is it direct or indirect? cause i've never been to a school like that :eek:
thanx :D

*mel*

Pace_T said:
im going to have to disagree with you there...

common decency is taking the time to help others with q's they can't do whenever you can spare a few mins. regardless of how competitive they are. as long as they dont put those down who recieved lower scores..
some people have different standards. wtf is wrong with someone expecting 90% and recieved 70%. of course the person has the right to be pissed off. if everybody set their standards to the dumbest person's standards in their class they'd all go shit, no doubt bout it
yeah of course they have the right to be pissed off, but it's how they say it... they don't say "i'm disappointed in myself, i expected better"
most of the time they are like "i did so crap! i got 80%" and then someone else says "well i got 60%" and they say "ohh that's really good"

yeah i was pissed off at myself when i didn't get what i expected, but that doesn't give me the right to complain about my crap mark in front of people that got lower.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
At my school, high-achievers don't put others down...

Pace_T

HSC
Slide Rule said:
At my school, high-achievers don't put others down...

I'm so glad my school is like yours in that way :D

"i did so crap! i got 80%"
"well i got 60%"
isn't that basically what this quote by u says
"the only person u should try to beat is urself"

"ohh that's really good"
um, referring to their previous scores?? (ie. they are making improvements)
would u rather they say nothing, so then the other person gets no recognition for their efforts?

"yeah i was pissed off at myself when i didn't get what i expected, but that doesn't give me the right to complain about my crap mark in front of people that got lower."

umm you have the right to complain whenever you want according to the quote:
like you said, don't compete with those around you, compete with yourself (ie, be pissed off if you didn't get what you expected, despite it being higher than other students')

Thanks,
Pace T.

*mel*

umm you have the right to complain whenever you want according to the quote:
like you said, don't compete with those around you, compete with yourself (ie, be pissed off if you didn't get what you expected, despite it being higher than other students')
just because i say that the only person u should try to beat is yourself doesn't mean that everyone thinks like that.
if i'm disappointed in myself, i will say so... but not in a way that makes other people feel bad, ie. "i could have done better" not "i got such a crap mark"
i'm not that ignorant to think that no one is competitive.

"ohh that's really good"
um, referring to their previous scores?? (ie. they are making improvements)
would u rather they say nothing, so then the other person gets no recognition for their efforts?
yeah i guess that's true. but most people know who they usually beat so complaining around them about their "crap mark" is kinda insensitive in the first place...

look pace i'm only saying this out of personal experience. my group of friends is very diverse in intelligence and sensitivity, so there are a lot of hurt feelings and bitching when exams come around...

Pace_T

HSC
**MeL**88 said:
just because i say that the only person u should try to beat is yourself doesn't mean that everyone thinks like that.
if i'm disappointed in myself, i will say so... but not in a way that makes other people feel bad, ie. "i could have done better" not "i got such a crap mark"
i'm not that ignorant to think that no one is competitive.

yeah i guess that's true. but most people know who they usually beat so complaining around them about their "crap mark" is kinda insensitive in the first place...

look pace i'm only saying this out of personal experience. my group of friends is very diverse in intelligence and sensitivity, so there are a lot of hurt feelings and bitching when exams come around...

well said. I'm beginning to agree with you on the point about being insenstive
i wish you could see my classes' atmosphere. In a way, no one is competitive and they are all helpful, but if u take a second look you'll see that they are fighting for the top hehe. So I've never actually seen 'bitching' or anything like that in the class room about marks. its totally new to me :eek:

my group of friends are very diverse in intelligence also. in our group there's 1 that gets extremely high marks all the time, and others who get the reciprocol of this person's mark, but they always try to help each other out when it comes to learning.

Thanks,
Pace T.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)