How did you stay motivated for 12 months? (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by flyin'

that is more so in the asian culture ... they think that hsc is equivalent to success in future life or something ... but thats cultural difference ...
that is so unbelievably true. speakin from personal experience, my family sees the HSC as the only way to succeed in life. This year is deciding of our whole future; it may have quite an impact, but its not the end of the world if u dont go well in the HSC.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
and the main problem is you this is untrue --- there are other way and better ways to get where you want to be ... and to be successful doesnt necessary mean doing law or med (the traditional uni courses for asians), if not commerce ...

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

that is more so in the asian culture ... they think that hsc is equivalent to success in future life or something ... but thats cultural difference ...
*Ahem* ;)

There are all sorts of Asian parents, from my mostly laissez-faire parents who worry a lot but don't do much about it, to the crazy sort who basically chain their kids to the chair.

Of course no-one thinks that the HSC guarantees you success in future life, but I think that from the parents' perspective it is the last time they will have a significant amount of control over your future. Therefore, they try to make sure that while they can they can get you a good start.

If there is any truly cultural difference in this, I think it has more to do with a migrant mentality rather than a peculiarly Asian one. Migrants I feel tend to be less secure, and paper qualifications are
more valuable to them as a result.

and the main problem is you this is untrue --- there are other way and better ways to get where you want to be ... and to be successful doesnt necessary mean doing law or med (the traditional uni courses for asians), if not commerce ...
There are certainly other ways of achieveing success than going to uni, but getting decent marks at uni guarantees you at least a low level job day with an accounting firm or something. Again, I think it's to do with parents trying to give their kids a good start.

I didn't know law was a traditional course for Asians, i thought that was commerce. Anyway, at my school combined law was far and away the most common choice. It's a delayed choice in the sense that you don't really have to decide what you want to do for another couple of years :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kini mini

... If there is any truly cultural difference in this, I think it has more to do with a migrant mentality rather than a peculiarly Asian one. Migrants I feel tend to be less secure, and paper qualifications are more valuable to them as a result.

There are certainly other ways of achieveing success than going to uni, but getting decent marks at uni guarantees you at least a low level job day with an accounting firm or something. Again, I think it's to do with parents trying to give their kids a good start...
paper qualifications are only the starting point, and even then not much of a starting point ... but i guess it depends on the person ... some people are capable or more so and will succeed regardless ...

the asian menu for uni (massive generalities here) --- med is usually first choice, then law and then commerce ... now it will be more law, as less asians get through the interview and umat :p

Originally posted by Bon
I wasn't motivated, actually.

But, I think this is what I should have done.

Written down my goals for each subject, and place them somewhere where I would see them every day. Do something every day that would have brought me closer to my goals.

Also, maybe recording myself onto a tape as if I'm in the present and I've achieved my goals. Then play that to/from school, when I go to bed at night, etc. so I believe in myself that I can achieve, as well as focusing on my goals.
wow. writing down your goals is a great idea.My business studies teacher told me to do that.I've always got certain ranks and marks in my head that i wanted to achieve.My goal in the hsc was to come first in more then one subject and to get 80+ for uai.I come 1st in 3/6 subject which i was extremely happy with

orange-rg

Migrants I feel tend to be less secure, and paper qualifications are important
this is not always true!
my parents are danish migrants (they have had it tough) and they have never pressured me to do well, its always been my own choice what i want to do/how hard i work.
i have two elder sisters and the one who failed the HSC is earning more than the one who wen't to uni could so i guess they see that the HSC isant always the be all and end all.

Last edited:

Rahul

Dead Member
yeh hsc is not the only way for one to succeed in life. the thing is many people are unaware of this, including parents and students. some measures must be taken to let all of them know of other opportunities.

pri

HSC
N/A
but getting a good UAI does make it easier and gives you the confidense for further success

ok hang on Ive been listening to my parents waaaaay too much.

Originally posted by pri
but getting a good UAI does make it easier and gives you the confidense for further success

ok hang on Ive been listening to my parents waaaaay too much.
far enough, but know one talks about your uai at uni- i feel just as confident and scared of failing like anyone else.Im in a uai course of 60 and i got 86-im still scared of failing, as the uai courses are just supply and demand- not academic difficulty

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
i was under pressure in year eleven to work hard as my brother and sister are extrely intelligent pepople. my sister is studying psych and my brother marine science. i think i let go and rebelled against that. went out had a good time and almost reached my goal in the end. i think i was a bit more lax than i should have been, but i enjoyed year 12 a hell of a lot more than my brother and sister. and i have more of a personality than they ever will. and improud to be different, although i get branded as the "disappointment" and "under-achiever" of the family.

swingin' n

Originally posted by tammer
i was under pressure in year eleven to work hard as my brother and sister are extrely intelligent pepople. my sister is studying psych and my brother marine science. i think i let go and rebelled against that. went out had a good time and almost reached my goal in the end. i think i was a bit more lax than i should have been, but i enjoyed year 12 a hell of a lot more than my brother and sister. and i have more of a personality than they ever will. and improud to be different, although i get branded as the "disappointment" and "under-achiever" of the family.
I'm glad that i'm not the only one. There are six children in my family - all of them extraordinaraly smart, except for me. I'm much towards the creative and artistic end of the scale. My mum doesn't care- she doesn't pressure me or anything- but i can totally sympathise with you!

in a way, you're lucky- i mean, you only have two siblings to compete with!! :lol:

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
yeah... i just hate when people tell me that im the "let down" of the family and stuf. not my family but people that know the family...

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
i had no motivation at all - i tried looking for it but nothing

it wasnt until the two weeks before the HSC i took it seriously, coz you kinda goto yourself 'fuck, i better do somthing' - coz you see all ur friends doing work and then u realise you've got to do somthing aswell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)