• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how did u learn photoshop? (1 Viewer)

co6

Knight
HSC
Started off on Paint Shop Pro, playing around for 2 years. Played around with Photoshop for another year, and here I am.

Tutorials do help, and the site I occasionally went to was www.good-tutorials.com

HSC
It takes time too reach your potential, you follow tutorials strictly almost replicating other designs, replicate hundreds of other designers. Let it sit in your head, then one day when you're brave enough don't touch a tutorial and let your brain manipulate what you learnt, and then twist/bend it too what you like.

You can see some of my work at http://casmira.deviantart.com/

co6

Knight
HSC
Casmira said:
It takes time too reach your potential, you follow tutorials strictly almost replicating other designs, replicate hundreds of other designers. Let it sit in your head, then one day when you're brave enough don't touch a tutorial and let your brain manipulate what you learnt, and then twist/bend it too what you like.

You can see some of my work at http://casmira.deviantart.com/
That's also true. And constant sig making is how I got new ideas etc.

Thought I might as well advertise my stuff too... http://cza05.deviantart.com

persephone

HSC
I'm still a beginner and not very good but doing a search for photoshop on livejournal helps. There are lots of photoshop communities out there.

Btw, does anyone know how to use masks??? Because I've been trying to work it out all night (looking at the net and all the sites posted, etc). Because I have no idea what I'm doing.

I want to do what this tutorial/brush post is telling me to do but I don't get it...

http://www.livejournal.com/users/ingrid_m/423228.html#cutid1

Anybody willing to help??

co6

Knight
HSC
persephone said:
I'm still a beginner and not very good but doing a search for photoshop on livejournal helps. There are lots of photoshop communities out there.

Btw, does anyone know how to use masks??? Because I've been trying to work it out all night (looking at the net and all the sites posted, etc). Because I have no idea what I'm doing.

I want to do what this tutorial/brush post is telling me to do but I don't get it...

Worked out fine for me...

Which bit are you stuck on ?

1. Add a new layer, fill it with white, and set it to screen.
2. Add a vector mask to the layer
3. Select the MASK of that layer (the new thumbnail to the right of the layer's thumbnail in the layer palette)
4. Change the colour to black and start painting in the areas you don't want white showing through...

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I fiddled around a little for a couple of months, just using filters and basic techniques. I then read a couple of online tutorials, was taught a lot of really awesome techniques from a photographer friend, and then studied Digital Photography (mostly using Photoshop) for the first half of year 11.

It's frustrating at first. I remember first opening the program back in 2003 (I was used to simpler things like Microsoft Picture It) and freaking out. Haha. And now I'm teaching people how to use the thing! :D

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
its quite easy to learn.. like everyone said.. play around with it.. i've enjoyed using photoshop.. now i use it for work

HSC
persephone said:

That tutorial is a little abstract, I cbf explaining masks too you but there is a easy way to make a grunge border, a little crude but who cares for now

download a grunge brush pack, like the one i have one uploaded for you here: http://rapidshare.de/files/10546582/grunge.zip.html

1. open the brush window, window->brushes

2. Select the arrow then load brushes
3. unzip the grunge.zip file too your desktop and point load brushes browse window there and make it load a file that should be called "Tony_grungev1.abr"
in your brushes window a few new brushes should be loaded

4. open up any ol' image that you want too give this 'grunge border' around
5. now select eraser, and go to brushes pallete and select one of the grunge brushes and then erase the borders of the picture you got open, press it a few times because grunge pallets dont erase the entire image at once, so you should have some grunge border, attempt to vary brushes
the brushes i gave you probably wouldn't suffice but get you started

once you figure out that sort of shit you can move onto masks

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
What did I do...I've never done a tutorial...but what I did was, I would get images and use every single effect on them, tweaking the settings as well. BTW I only started out with "Adobe Photoshop Effects" so mind you, there weren't so many options to play with...

I practised my little heart out...took me years to get anything looking semi-decent, and now that I've upgraded to Photoshop CS I can see that I've got a loooong way to go after my HSC is over. But yeah; I always tell kids in junior years at school who ask me questions that the best experience you'll ever get is hands-on. I'm a big believer in tutorials (I usually put my parents through them rather than sitting down an explaining everything) but like anything in life, you can't beat practical work...

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
I started off in paint shop pro 7 then 8 actually back in 2003.
Then I decided that since photoshop is the industry standard that i'd teach myself how to use it, I found it pretty simple but did a short GERRIC course at COFA in it (on a mac!) and it taught me a few other techniques. Also learnt a bit at my work where I upload stuff to the web and edit photos. If i do say so myself i'm quite good at photo restoration and crazy manipulations..yeah...

PS: I have photoshop CS2
I hate elements, I need complete functionality...when I bought my digital SLR, it came wtih elements, and i tried it, terrible terrible, so its sort of..wandering around my school at the moment, I know of 15 people who have it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)