how did evry1 go in ancient? (1 Viewer)

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
hmmm i havent been here for ages and no1 is sharing their ancient marks ppl!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh well! so how did all the o3'ers go in ancient? im only asking coz im stoked at how i went considering that ancient was the subject that i thought i would do worst at! i got 94 WOO HOO go me!

so come on evry1 wat did u get?

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
overall i got 87
very happy with that consdering at the beggining of the year ancient was my worst subject

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
wow mike! thats all i gotta say dude ur a genius! 99 in ancient kicks ass! wat did u get in the actual exam like 100? i got 95!

Mike85

I came 1st in my class, so both my assessment and exam marks were 99. It ended up being 3rd in the state, though the guy who came 1st got 99 as well, he would have just got a few decimal places higher.
Yeh, i was pretty shocked, because there is SO much to learn for ancient, the syllabus is HUGE. i spend so many nights stressing that i hadn't covered everything, and im so glad it's over.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
hey, are you chris?

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
depends on who this is.. ?? pm me

edit: milton? hah now u have no anonymity either :)

Last edited:

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
who's milton? lol. pm sent

EDIT: i got 94 for my final mark

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Gadzooks...Some very impressive marks. Well done all.

I got 90, but that was despite my eevil, condescending teacher. (Although shes already taken credit for it..Bah.) Maintaining an interest in 'Ancient History' was difficult.

'Ancient History', said Shane, is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake. :D (Just a slight exaggeration.)

ladidid

HSC
N/A
I got 85 which was really strange considering that I hated the subject. I was almost going to drop it at the end of year 11 but I couldn't. So anyway, I was really happy with that mark.

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Wow, u lot must've worked like anything to get those marks... i'd be sooo happy with anything over 95 - i'm doing my hsc this yr, but ya, congrats 2ya'll, i envy you

But neway, hope i'm not hijacking this thread, but i thought i might ask - how did you guys study for ancient? Dya have any tips or anything to share with a poor lil yr 12er like me? ;)

And did any of u get tutors, or was it just something you kinda did yourselves?

Reply and u can have my eternal gratitude, (if that means nething :p )

Last edited:

Mike85

I didn't have a tutor, and I hated every moment I had to study for ancient, but I was very motivated. This was because I knew unless I got a very high mark the scaling would be terrible, and I had an awful teacher who really did very little.

Most important thing is HAVE LOTS OF HISTORIOGRAPHY. My HSC exam responses were littered with quotes from academics, many of which contradicted each other, showing how I was aware of the debates. In order to get these, you need to go beyond the notes teachers give you and access journal articles and various books from the library. Once I had these I'd scan them and get the general idea of what the author was saying, and then make a few notes and record important quotes (the walls of my room were covered in quotes, which was slightly scary as I could never really escape the HSC).

I also answered every past HSC question and then went through what I wrote and highlighted important sections, and then just went over them again and again, writing things down as I went along. For Sparta, we had an assessment task where we had to make notes with historiography under each syllabus dot point, and so I put those 25 pages in a folder and just read over them occassionally. This was so effective I also decided to do it for my historical period, and it worked wonders. Having everything in a folder just makes things much easier to handle, especially for ancient where I had over 100 pages of summary notes.

But yes, don't stress too much (though a little can help as it motivates you). So yes, that's how I got my mark, and believe me, it's not impossible. During the year I was basically most concerned with preparing my notes for the final exam, because I knew that was what was important, and didn't really revise too much until Stuvac (in my 1/2 yearly my evil teacher gave me a mark of 60%!). But yes, during the holidays before the exams, with all my notes (filled with really good historiography) done, I was able to spend about 4 hours a day just revising for ancient. And really, when you think about it, that isn't that much and is realistic. Don't become a recluse like the girl who topped ancient in 2002 (she made her parents lock her in her room and she studied 14 hrs a day), it really isn't worth it. But if you want a mark above 95 (and subsequently avoid the poor scaling), there's what you have to do.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
doing extension history is handy too, in my opinion... it gives you an 'edge'

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
especially since Extension History=historiography and not much else.

malayz_angel

I got 95...and that was despite my own battles with my ancient teacher...*sigh* She wasn't condescending (not to me anyway) and she didn't motivate me to study harder. In fact, she was completely the opposite. She kept pressuring me by saying I had the ability to get first in the state and giving me piles and piles of extra notes and sources. This had the unfortunate effect of making me want to study LESS and this was a shame because I really do love the subject and I know that I could have done a lot better.

My advice to the new Year 12's would be to:

*DO study and read over your notes and memorise dates. If you're aiming high, even do some independent research on your own. It will impress both teachers and HSC markers when they find something in your paper that they haven't had to read seventy-eight times before.

*Don't forget to express ideas in your own words and sentences. Plagiarism is a big no no for any subject, but my history teacher was the one who warned us the most about it

*Don't just memorise info and write long essays for the sake of it. You can write seven pages or seventeen and the one who wrote seven but expressed themselves better can still score higher.

*History Extension is a good addition to either Ancient or Modern. Errmm...pick a topic and start your major project now though, if you haven't already! I speak from the personal experience of frantically typing mine on the day that it was due. I still got 38/40 but it was three hours of stress I could have done without.

I think that's it...I know all this stuff might seem really basic and pointless to tell you, but it's true! And also...try to get good assessment marls too.

GOOD LUCK! :)

polo sport

96!! UAI - 98.25
like i hated ancient sooooooooo much. i cant believe we all hated it so much and did so well. so funny.
its the best feeling- no more ancient for life!
no more caesar, xerxes, sparta!!!!!!!!!! yay!!!!! but i think i might miss it....so sad of me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)