• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How Characteristics are Developed (1 Viewer)

Moulieg

HSC
This is a question to do with the effect of the environment on a chosen Phenotype (Physical characteristics).

"Explain how characteristics are developed"

Any help would be much appreciated, i hope someone can help me.

Thanks, Moulieg

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
first you have variation

then a few variation can live better in a particular environment

then by darwin wallce, they have a better chance to live on and pass on their charateristic on

so few hundred generations later, the characteristic becomes common in the population

Moulieg

HSC
Alright, thanks for the help guys, i was thinking along the wrong lines, know i understand, thank You !

Moulieg

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Moulieg said:
Alright, thanks for the help guys, i was thinking along the wrong lines, know i understand, thank You !

Moulieg
I think the replies mislead you. For your experiment you were looking at the effect of the environment on the phenotypes of an organism*. Unlike the process of natural selection, these characterists develop from the environment and are acquired through the lifetime of the organism and are not hereditry, hence they are not passed on to the offspring. (Refer to that dude who believed in the acquired characteristics and some guy disproved it by cutting off mice tails and breeding them for generations. Even though the tails were not used and cut off on the parents the offspring were still born with tails.)

Design and carry out an individual first-hand investigation to demonstrate the effect of the environment on a chosen Phenotype (physical characteristic)

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
my apologies... it seemed like ari is right...

easiest i guess is to use a plant (of which i forgot the name of) which has blue petals if grown in acidic environment and red if in basic environment...

ShaneMcMaster

HSC
If you use the example of an assignment i'm doing we have two plants.....one has highly fertile soil and the other has not as fertile soil. If the plant in the fertile soil grows up to be big and strong then that is the characteristic it has developed. whereas if the other one becomes stunted in growth then that is a trait that that plant has developed....i think in terms you are think u mean how are characteristic developed due to the environment.

I hope that helps....sorry if it doesnt :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)