How can you get your English Examiner to "like" your essay? (1 Viewer)

Cloesd

HSC
anyone who is good at both of them is extremely lucky , lucky bastards

If you're good at Math but bad at English, you're looking at math wrong. if you're bad at Math and good at English, you're looking at English wrong.

Both of them focus on communicating an idea.

The good English essay or story, shouldn't be DEPEND on the markers mood, it should dictate the markers mood. Your intro should induce the right mood you want the reader to be in to receive the rest well...

I know a lot of teachers say, just follow this structure... follow it. But don't be afraid to add to it. The most you can hope to get with stock-structure, and stock-arguments (arguments and structure discussed in class) is 15/20.

-Just think about what the questions asking, and form an intelligent and really DEEP and applicable idea about it, this is why i don't like using regurgitated essays, or even the regurgitated main points... The main points of your essay should be based on the question. It makes no sense to memorize the main points and adapt them to the question, that's like... trying to adapt and elephant to fly. Its most likely going to fall flat on its face no matter how hard you throw it. It needs to be designed from the ground up to answer the question.

-Read novels and books, and don't be afraid to use descriptive langauage in an essay. "We see that this character from this text has been warped into this other character in adaption of the text." (notice "warped" instead of just transformed, or changed, this IS what they mean by flare)

-Do not view English as pure subjectivity, and maths as pure objectivity. English combines the knowledge of structure, with the creative application of language.
-Maths combines the knowledge of the language, with an application of creativity manipulating ideas.

Last edited:

meryemm23q

HSC
If you're good at Math but bad at English, you're looking at math wrong. if you're bad at Math and good at English, you're looking at English wrong.

Both of them focus on communicating an idea.

The good English essay or story, shouldn't be DEPEND on the markers mood, it should dictate the markers mood. Your intro should induce the right mood you want the reader to be in to receive the rest well...

I know a lot of teachers say, just follow this structure... follow it. But don't be afraid to add to it. The most you can hope to get with stock-structure, and stock-arguments (arguments and structure discussed in class) is 15/20.

-Just think about what the questions asking, and form an intelligent and really DEEP and applicable idea about it, this is why i don't like using regurgitated essays, or even the regurgitated main points... The main points of your essay should be based on the question. It makes no sense to memorize the main points and adapt them to the question, that's like... trying to adapt and elephant to fly. Its most likely going to fall flat on its face no matter how hard you throw it. It needs to be designed from the ground up to answer the question.

-Read novels and books, and don't be afraid to use descriptive langauage in an essay. "We see that this character from this text has been warped into this other character in adaption of the text." (notice "warped" instead of just transformed, or changed, this IS what they mean by flare)

-Do not view English as pure subjectivity, and maths as pure objectivity. English combines the knowledge of structure, with the creative application of language.
-Maths combines the knowledge of the language, with an application of creativity manipulating ideas.

you just motivated me :)

akataylor

HSC
N/A
I kind of agree.

I'm in the same boat, essays I've written in class recieve 18/19 out of 20 and then recieve 15 in an exam.

Annoying.

paricularly for creative writing. I was certain I had a winner on my hands (as did my teacher) and I got given 12/15.

Yep.

However, every time I do the stupid unseen text, I do not understand the texts at all and still manage to receive 15/15 each time.

In conclusion, English is silly.

absorber

HSC
Technique example effect, make insightful observations which you give value to by backing them up with quotes, and identify the technique(s) used in the quote and the effect this has on the responder.
Also, use big words. Seriously.
Write bigger. I write large and tend to do well, I'm not sure if this is a reason but it seems to flow onto other subjects. Convince your teachers that you write a lot, meaning more detail, meaning you've worked harder, meaning they may give you more marks.
I should probably add though, really, really, most importantly of all one needs to engage with and try to enjoy the texts in order to make useful observations which will please teachers.

Last edited:

27GV

HSC
Has anyone considered that, possibly, their initial essay did not actually answer the question in a clear enough manner – if at all - and that may be the reason why they are not receiving such a high mark?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)