How can I improve my note-taking? (1 Viewer)

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
This is a massive problem that has really been bugging me. So when I have a class like Chemistry, Biology or Modern History there are a lot of important things being said every lesson. So I try to take notes as fast as possible but AS SOON as a new point has been made, I can't simultaneously retain both points and they both end up being destroyed in my mind.

Example:
Teacher: "Guize, the symbol for iron is Fe"
Me as I'm writing: 'K, iron has a sym-
Teacher: "Now, the reactivity of metals increase as they go down a group"
Me:'boooolll offfffffff what was it again? WHAT'D HE SAY?!!! Crap, what did he say after that?'

What do I do?! I'm scared that this is a psychological setback. :(

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
1. Write faster
2. Pick out the most important things of what your teacher said and write only that down, and after, try and recollect what has been said and rewrite it to reinforce your understanding
3. Record your lessons so you can rewind and play the parts you miss
4. Ask a friend or the teacher to repeat what has just been said

and it isn't a psychological setback...don't worry about it.

dim-sims

HSC
I have some friends that use their laptop to type down what the teacher has said and use books to write down notes off a board.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
You should firstly try to learn the work by yourself at home, or look over it. Then go into class and LISTEN to what the teacher says and if you think she says something that's' important but isn't in the textbook then write it down, otherwise, the symbol for Fe and the reactivity thing don't bother writing, it's in you textbook. Just listen. You'll be surprised that the more attention you pay in class, your recall rates increase and it is easier to retrieve the information. Also if you utilise this method you can embark on asking higher order questions about the work in class rather than just learning it in class and if the teacher goes fast you get scared. Then you go home and make comprehensive notes a combination of the textbook and your own knowledge which you have enhanced by listening to the teacher that day.

Last edited:

matchalolz

HSC
for me, i can generally remember what the teacher says for about a few minutes so i just try and write really fast and sort of just 'play back' bits i missed, hoping i haven't forgotten what was said. sometimes though i just look over at my friends's books and asked them what the teacher said. i think you should probably record ur lessons if you're concerned and think that it's useful to, but i wouldn't bother. as said above, ditch the stuff that's probably in the textbook already and maybe read through your textbook before u come to class so u know whats in it hahah

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
My chemistry teacher goes pretty fast, and how I usually do it is that I use symbols to show what she's saying. E.g. if the reactivity of a metal decrease as it moves across in groups i'd write - react. metals increa as it moves from left to -> then i'd expand on my notes at home. I don't know if it'll work for you but it worked for me with a teacher that only talked and never really written anything down

J280

HSC
I'm in the same boat for Chemistry- what I do is scribble (somewhat legibly) on loose leaf paper while the teacher is talking and then re-make the notes after the class, which should only take 10-15 mins tops :)
If that doesn't help, use a laptop or record the lessons like the others have suggested.

shortnsweet

HSC
Only write keywords, but make sure you can still understand so you can read them later. Then expand them later at home when you study. For example, instead of:

"the symbol for iron is Fe"

write

"iron = Fe"

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe try to type things up-it might be faster, furthermore, it is more important to make sure you understand what the teacher is saying rather than take down everything the teacher says. Perhaps listen, ask questions, make sure you understand before taking notes:)

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Thanks everyone, I've noticed my note taking improve due to a couple of suggestions. I guess it's kind of a skill that I've underdeveloped. ^>^

J280

HSC
Thanks everyone, I've noticed my note taking improve due to a couple of suggestions. I guess it's kind of a skill that I've underdeveloped. ^>^
No worries, remember practice makes perfect :)

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
Familiarise yourself with some shorthand, or create a system that abbreviates words and phrases into symbols. But make sure you understand what you are writing (obvious but crucial for note taking success).

;)

evasharman

HSC
For Modern, I write down as many key points as I can while the teacher is speaking. Then I usually compare them with the person next to me for any mistakes or important things I've missed. Then I go home and rewrite the really important stuff that is directly related to the dotpoints neatly in a book.

You could always ask the teacher to slow down a bit if you really think they are genuinely going too fast. You could also ask to borrow a friend's book for a night if you're really missing out. Just try and really practice summarising and condensing information, trying to concentrate as much as possible. Also don't psych yourself out! Just relax, pay attention, write quickly and you'll be fine!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)