How can i improve in math? (1 Viewer)

anominus

HSC
Iam in year 9 5.2, the top 5.2 class, i am a average student who gets are 70 to 80% sometimes 86%. What i have noticed with my 5.3 friends is that their problem solving skills and memory are really good. If i perform good this year i can get into 5.3. But how are 5.3 kids soo good at maths do they have any habits that stimulates their brain. Any tips or advice ?

idkkdi

HSC
Iam in year 9 5.2, the top 5.2 class, i am a average student who gets are 70 to 80% sometimes 86%. What i have noticed with my 5.3 friends is that their problem solving skills and memory are really good. If i perform good this year i can get into 5.3. But how are 5.3 kids soo good at maths do they have any habits that stimulates their brain. Any tips or advice ?
Maths is the subject where slugging it out is perhaps most noticeable.
As long as u spend enough time trying and doing (preferably not mif lol instead cam/iceem) u’ll eventually be just as “smart”.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
A really good one on one tutor might help. At least to close the gap between 5.2 and 5.3.

Maths and science can be really elegant once you see how parts fit into the whole. Students are often taught maths & science subjects, from early primary, as discrete separate topics and so as idkkdi comments, a lot of people ‘slug it out’, whereas its often possible to understand an entire topic in one session instead of several weeks of slugging it out.

wzsmartypants

HSC
Hi I am in 5.3 year 9, I would say just do more questions and you will eventually get better, when i struggle i attempt questions and don't be afraid to ask ur teacher for help.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The fact you want to improve yourself is an important first step.
You want to get out of 5.2 into 5.3 as soon as you can. When you are in 5.2, they assume you cannot handle the more advanced material and continue to feed you with unchallenging material. How can you get out of this trap? For some, a determined effort by yourself to free yourself from this may suffice. But for most people, you'll need someone competent to diagnose your problem and to chart a pathway out of 5.2. I do not know everyone can be helped: I've dealt with some students in a similar situation, and just cannot understand why they have so much difficulty dealing with some relatively simple concepts. So I have cases where I could not lift my student up from 5.2. On the other hand, I remember a highly motivated student of mine, after about 8 lessons was able to demonstrate to his teacher to put him in 5.3.
I believe a one-on-one external help is the way to go.

anominus

HSC
Hi I am in 5.3 year 9, I would say just do more questions and you will eventually get better, when i struggle i attempt questions and don't be afraid to ask ur teacher for help.
Do you play musical instrument? (just curious)
Also how long do you suggest i should work on maths? I don't have trouble grasping simple concepts but my memory and solving harder problems is where i struggle. When i learn how to do a hard question, i forget to the method or the formula a few months later.

wzsmartypants

HSC
Do you play musical instrument? (just curious)
Also how long do you suggest i should work on maths? I don't have trouble grasping simple concepts but my memory and solving harder problems is where i struggle. When i learn how to do a hard question, i forget to the method or the formula a few months later.
yes because u don't get enough practice. No I don't play musical instruments, rn since you're struggling i think 2 hours a day would be pretty good. When I have big tests coming up (for example selective test) i would go to the library 2-3 times a week afterschool to spend 1-2 hours working on maths english and sometimes science

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
Practice the basics and progress

SpaceMission

HSC
lmao at my school even dumb kids who get like 70 can get into 5.3

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
can't rlly say a lot, math has always been easy for me, I score 100% in almost all math tests, I just try and ask teacher stuff I'm confused about, really its as simple as that. U don't need full on textbooks just for year 9, year 11 and 12 is when u will prolly need textbooks.

kkk579

hello
HSC
can't rlly say a lot, math has always been easy for me, I score 100% in almost all math tests, I just try and ask teacher stuff I'm confused about, really its as simple as that. U don't need full on textbooks just for year 9, year 11 and 12 is when u will prolly need textbooks.
it depends though, your schools math tests could be ridiculously simple and easy compared to the OP’s math tests. an 100% in a math test at a normal school is completely different from a 100% in a math test at a selective school. also a textbook is important for all highschool years, not just year 11 and 12.

advice:
-try and get a tutor if u don’t have one, since ur struggling ur best bet is a private so they can focus solely on you.
-just keep practicing and close up any gaps u have in your knowledge.
-use youtube videos to learn concepts that seem difficult to you.
-a good online resource is khan academy. (i don’t use it though, this is what other people have told me)

kkk579

hello
HSC
also try understanding the basics first. you’ll never be able to get the hard concepts if you don’t comprehend the basics.

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
it depends though, your schools math tests could be ridiculously simple and easy compared to the OP’s math tests. an 100% in a math test at a normal school is completely different from a 100% in a math test at a selective school. also a textbook is important for all highschool years, not just year 11 and 12.

advice:
-try and get a tutor if u don’t have one, since ur struggling ur best bet is a private so they can focus solely on you.
-just keep practicing and close up any gaps u have in your knowledge.
-use youtube videos to learn concepts that seem difficult to you.
-a good online resource is khan academy. (i don’t use it though, this is what other people have told me)
my school is a private school, usually tests are relatively hard, I do see your point tho but usually during junior years, math textbooks are not essential bc there not that difficult concepts since we all have the same curriculum, but if u r struggling go to the library and do the textbooks(I like ICE-EM and Cambridge), or use math online(if u r willing to pay for it or if school provides it, or just ask teacher for help bc ik someone who asked for help from their teacher and nailed the concepts and test, and use khan academy .

kkk579

hello
HSC
my school is a private school, usually tests are relatively hard, I do see your point tho but usually during junior years, math textbooks are not essential bc there not that difficult concepts since we all have the same curriculum, but if u r struggling go to the library and do the textbooks(I like ICE-EM and Cambridge), or use math online(if u r willing to pay for it or if school provides it, or just ask teacher for help bc ik someone who asked for help from their teacher and nailed the concepts and test, and use khan academy .
actually textbooks are very necessary. i don’t see how having the same curriculum is related to difficult concepts at all? some people have trouble with even the easiest concepts. honestly it all depends on the individual. and yes i agree with you for maths online if your willing to pay for it.

xibu34

HSC
Eddie Woos videos are a great help. Khan Academy is also good because it can help fill in some holes in your learning and get basics of each topic down.

5uckerberg

HSC
Eddie Woos videos are a great help. Khan Academy is also good because it can help fill in some holes in your learning and get basics of each topic down.
Eddie Woo videos or "Wootube," Thumbs up, Khan Academy Thumbs down because Khan academy does not have the interactive nature when compared to Wootube where sometimes you can listen to the wow factor such as finding the square number that completes the square and hearing that will kinda make you feel as if you are experiencing a victory with the class even though you are not in that classroom.

xibu34

HSC
Eddie Woo videos or "Wootube," Thumbs up, Khan Academy Thumbs down because Khan academy does not have the interactive nature when compared to Wootube where sometimes you can listen to the wow factor such as finding the square number that completes the square and hearing that will kinda make you feel as if you are experiencing a victory with the class even though you are not in that classroom.
Khan Academy is interactive, I'm referring to the website. Great resource IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)