How Can I Find The Perfect Study Space for Me? (1 Viewer)

madden1010

HSC
Finding somewhere to study in my house is very difficult- I have 3 siblings who are home usually whenever I'm home so there is a lot of noise, I share a bedroom with my younger sister and so I have no desk, and the only proper writing space is the dining room which is right between the kitchen and lounge room and the front door and back door, so there is always the distraction of food and TV. The only other places I can think of are my nan's house and the local library, but that means I'd have to take all of my school work and study tools every time I left the house to study. Another problem is that although my nan's house is perfect, she has no internet connection at all, so research would be very difficult if I didn't have books for research.

How can I solve my study problems? Has anyone had the same sort of situation?

madden1010

HSC
The only problem with that is that my house is very small. We have 6 people living in a 3 bedroom house, so there's not much room as it is :p First world problems, I know, but at the moment I either study at the dinner table, on my bedroom floor or on my bed and so far it's not working as well as I would hope :p

Verify

HSC
Damnit, now I feel like an ungrateful f*ck for complaining about how small my study space is when in reality I have as much space as I need.

OP, just a suggestion, but maybe you could buy one of these:

493255616_620.jpg

I'm not sure where you can get them, maybe office works but I think it might work because they are small and portable so you can store it away when you're not studying.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I would go and study in the library, if you've been at school, you will likely have most of the things you need. Home will only distract you-though try and get your parents to understand how you need siblings etc. to respect some quiet time and have a study space if you can.

freeeeee

HSC
From what i read,

Ur house, nan's house are all going to be difficult to effectively study. I dont recommend local library as you end up greeting someone you know every 30mins which is distracting.

What i suggest is that you study at school, usually school libraries or study rooms open 1-2hrs after school ends. 1-2hrs everyday of effective study/ homework is all you need really to do well.

GL

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I feel that your bedroom should be used only for sleeping - your mind sets itself up to sleep once you enter that door to your bedroom and so, studying becomes less effective. It's difficult to find space in a small and crowded house and so, you might be to make a small set up in a corner, away from distractions and noise.

starshine02

HSC
I think the library wouldn't be a bad idea, even if you will have to carry all your study equipment there. In a sense, you'll only bring your study stuff rather than the extras that could distract you as well. Studying at school could also be good and it doesn't even have to be the school library. It could just be an empty classroom or something because usually the school library will only be open for around 1hr after school. Sometimes after school I just end up staying longer in a classroom and noone has ever kicked me out before.

You could also try finding a quiet cafe in your area that offers wifi as well. Just order something really small, take up a table by yourself and you can easily just chill there, study and use their free internet as well :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
For you OP, looks like studying in the library will have to do. Yes, it's a pain having to bring all your things there but I'm sure you'll make it work out by figuring out what is essential and non-essential, so you'll lessen the load, literally.

For me, I found my perfect study space by looking at what I needed - I needed a table, a comfortable chair and space enough for books and a laptop if needed. Oh and peace and quiet. So for the HSC, I had a desk in my room - I used that. Now at uni, I have several spots in a certain uni building which I will go to if I want to study - also it's close to the shops so I can buy drinks and food if needed as well.

madden1010

HSC
The only place I can think of with wifi is MacDonald's or Hungry Jacks (which I work at) and both are close to my school but about a 20 minute walk from my house. The only problem with that is that it's fast food and so it gets quite busy... I guess I could try some of those places out, thanks for the help :)

clover_

HSC
Bringing some things to the library to study isn't very difficult, people who have a room to themselves or fine conditions for studying at home often still choose to study at the library- aircon, free wifi :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)