How can I do better in English (advanced)? (1 Viewer)

pigas

HSC
I am doing English Advanced and it is my worst subject. For year 11 I had an exam rank of 18 / 70 and a course rank of... 53 / 70.
I have no idea how to improve. I want to be in at least top 8. In things like essays I always studied essays I found online that got high/full marks. I use quotes and include techniques etc. But my marks seem to remain at a sound level.

It doesn't help at all that my teacher is an easy marker (it seems). I gave him a practice essay which he gave 9/10. But all my other essays other teachers marked, I usually got like 6/10 or 12/20. When I ask him how to improve, he gives little advice, rather he tells me I am working very well and there is nothing I need to add or anything. But obviously all the other teachers who mark the exams seem to think so.

I feel like English is bringing me down. I can't afford a tutor. Any advice? Any good resources?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Also see if you can ask the other teachers for advice.

Theoretically, there shouldn't be a discrepancy between marks as they are using the same marking outline. If you think your teacher is an easy marker, I wouldn't bother asking for help from them.

fatassmcfat

HSC
Try to befriend a 'hard marking' teacher and give them all your practice essays etc. before the actual exam. Also you could ask the top ranking students in your grade to give you their year 11 assessments and compare it to yours. Or something i do with my friends is that I mark their essays and in return they help me with one of my weaker subjects, so you could do that with your friends :guitar:

allysmith

HSC
Hmm. Either seek a tutor, or harass your teachers with essays LOL :p

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)