How big is your introduction? (1 Viewer)

Jezzabelle

Hey ! I know its about time to stop counting days and start counting HOURS till the HSC exam... but i was just wondering...

I am doing the Skrzynecki poems for Physical Journeys and the only prob with my trial essay was that my introduction in my essay was too long. This was because i had 3 poems, 1 stimulas, 1 related to intro as well as give my definition and set up my thesis. People not doing poems just need to intro their movie/novel etc (lucky!) but when you have 3 diff poems to quickly explain.. the intro gets lengthy.

SO i was just wondering, do i have to quickly explain each poem i will use in my intro, or can i just have a general comment of Immigrant Chronicle and how its about the migrant experience, and list the poems i am using??

Last edited by a moderator:

tempco

HSC
You dont have to explain each poem in the intro.. I usually list the text's title and composer.. the intro briefly states your case... your thesis should be enough.

Lebking

how many poems do u need 2 do?

I was thinking of doing 3 poems and it was no probs but then when I went to do a feature article, it got 2 hard to do it in 40 minutes. Any1 out there no if u get marked down 4 only doing 2 poems cause I'm thinking of dropping one and only making passing remarks for the other poem if its not an essay. thx

Ferko_67

dont think it matters, the rubric nomally states what you are being marked on and, normally, the required material is 2 class texts, ie 2 skrezynecki poems, then 1 stimulus and then 1 additional material. Our school was making us do six at one point (2 of each type) but most found it too hard and drop them. Remember 40 min is not long enough and all 3 sections are worth 15 marks each, so make up marks else where, I guess...

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
nekkid said:
You dont have to explain each poem in the intro.. I usually list the text's title and composer.. the intro briefly states your case... your thesis should be enough.
Yeah I concur. You only need a few sentences for your introduction.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i have never explained the texts in the intro more than saying what type of journey they are, and say that the journeys and their impacts are conveyed through techniques and language strategies bla bla bla. it should only be a small paragraph. some people that get full marks just name their texts or the composers in the intro, and mainly focu on defining physical journey.

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
I'd say about a paragraph of 10 or less lines.... just introduce the texts that you're using and who wrote/directed/drew them.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
this is my introduction to my essay:

A journey is the act of travelling from a departure point to a destination. Physical journeys in particular encompass this rudimentary process however, the physical journey is much more than that. It is an amalgamation of the physical movement and the challenges and obstacles which can face the traveller emotionally and spiritually. The result of the journey then is often a better understanding of themselves and the world around them. The processes and results of the journey is superbly demonstrated in the play Away by Michael Gow, Journey to the Interior by Margaret Atwood, Into the Woods by Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine and Paradise Road (1999) directed by Bruce Beresford.

On an exam piece of paper this comes up to almost a page.

Good luck to all.

christos_g

sole

do the physical journes have to change the person who is takin it ?? or can it simply b that they enjoyed it ..

hanjoc

people normally are forced to learn something from their journey...even if they enjoyed it u can say that they learnt more about what they enjoyed...if that makes sense.
for my intro, my teacher sed she went to a senior marker thing the other day and she sed smaller introductions are better cos it leaves u more time to get into the body, and totally finish your essay. apparently your marked down heaps if you dont finish. so my intro is a basic introduction of the idea that physical journeys arent just movement to new places, but the obstacles along the way make them learn (not in that wording). i just say "Skryznecki's Immigrant Chronicle and other related texts" and yep...get into more ideas in my para's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)