How are you studying for Chem? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
"Stainless steels all contain at least 10.5% chromium, which gives them a high resistance to corrosion. Chromium forms a thin, invisible, inert film of chromium oxide on the surface of the steel. Any damage to this film is quickly repaired. As the percentage of Chromium increases so does the resistance of the steel to corrosion".

and,

"Steel refers to a large group of alloys containing iron and carbon with varying amounts of a number of other elements".

None of the HSC papers so far have asked about different types of steel, with reference to specific kinds (eg. wrought, pig iron...) but there has been

"Describe the effect of adding other elements to iron on the properties and uses of steels", 5 marks.

The syllabus says:

"Identify the composition of steel and explain how the percentage comosition of steel can determine its properites"

"Gather and process information from secondary sources to compare the composition, properties and uses of a range of steels"

Last edited:

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Ok, I rung HSC advice line, they said hydroxide makes Iron (II) go white-> brown, but since it happens so quickly, it's pretty much instant brown.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
MedNez said:
Ok, I rung HSC advice line, they said hydroxide makes Iron (II) go white-> brown, but since it happens so quickly, it's pretty much instant brown.
Dreamerish*~ said:
Yeah, I asked our Resident Chemist and Mitochondria (both of them know what they're talking about) and they told me that it's grey-green.

Then I asked my tutor, who has been a chemist his whole life, and he said it's creamy white turning to brown, which is what CC says.

In desperation, I called the HSC helpline, which gave me a third answer - green turning to brown.

I'm going to school next week and finding out for myself. '-_-

EDIT: Oh but this is really specific. I want to know because I'm just too curious, but if you're panicking over it - don't. The main thing is to identify that there is a precipitate.
Oh dear, even they're not sure. :p

MedNez

HSC
N/A
*shrugs*

CC says white->brown.

BOS knows the main textbooks and what information they have.

Works for me.

Haku

thanks captain G3Y that was really helpful

back to the iron argument i still reckon i am right. anywayz which topic is it from or like did it ever appear in a test?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Monitoring and Management, the first section.

I don't remember seeing it in an exam. :p

MedNez

HSC
N/A
nosadness said:
thanks captain G3Y that was really helpful

back to the iron argument i still reckon i am right. anywayz which topic is it from or like did it ever appear in a test?
Haha, well you write it in the hsc. I went and dug up the prac, all I wrote was "brown", so I'm assuming it was white to begin with, like the others. Blue/Green would be copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)