How am I supposed to talk about textual integrity/values through time for Hamlet? (1 Viewer)

katoji

HSC
I know that textual integrity is how the text works as a unified whole to be effective.
But how am I supposed to keep saying this in my essay?

-Do I have to say it in the introduction (e.g. Hamlet sources its integrity from its utilisation of these themes...)

-How do I say it in the body paragraphs? Because as far as I know, I'm saying the quote + technique + effect...does this already talk about textual integrity? If not, how am I supposed to say that these techniques/structure/etc work for the play as a whole?

-For values through time, I know we can talk about how certain issues are presented through themes. E.g. how family is demoralised...and how we can have these issues today. But do we have to be specific as to how and why these values are relevant today? Or can we just say "Therefore, through the value that family is demoralised, the play presents an issue that is still relevant in audiences today"?

Please help, I'm so confused!

Last edited:

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
You can say it in the introduction if you want, but it's not necessary.

You don't have to keep explicitly saying it in your essay if you do say it in your introduction. You're right - textual integrity is how the text works as a unified whole. Therefore, you should develop a holistic appreciation of the text. Merely by going through your techniques and explaining how they contribute to the core themes or values of the text is part of the process itself. What is a theme? It's an idea that runs throughout the play. That's part of why the text works. If it only explored deception in one scene, then moved onto happiness etc. and never mentioned deception again, it wouldn't really 'work' as a unified whole. So it's not like you have to say "This is a representation of textual integrity" or something. As long as you consider scenes from across the entire play , and you're not only focusing on the beginning or end, then that in itself is considering the text as a whole, and how those scenes come together etc. etc. etc.

No you do not have to be 'specific' as to why they are relevant to today. They are relevant because they are universal ideas; they are not restricted to an audience in a particular context or period in time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)