• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how 2 analyse a book (1 Viewer)

berra

HSC
im doing a book called 'red heart' by victor kelleher as a related text for my assessment task, and theres a question that reads 'how does the composer convey his/her message on the journey'. i hav 2 tlk bout the techniques n stuff thats used, but i dnt noe how 2 analyse it...

if sum1 can help me i would really really appreciate it...thnx

tennille

HSC
Some techniques may be first/third person narration. If it's first person narration, then we have an idea of the prgress of the journey from the protagonist's perspective. Others may include whther it is in chronological order or not and certain language techniques (eg. emotive).

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Also you should investigate the tone of the book overall, use of imagery, dialogue, and other literary techniques.
Adding onto Tennille, the first person narrative puts the reader in a more intimate position with the character that has the first person voice in the story. It allows reader to perceive the persona's personal thoughts and his/her perception of the story. It can sometimes be a subjective point of view, and i mean like the way the character thinks can affect the reader's view of the story.
Third person narrative is usually objective, unless the story follows specific characters more, usually the main characters because they are more important than anyone else in the story.

P

pLuvia

If in first person, it is more empathetic, so you can get more out of the character
Each technique has a purpose, why they do it, so just say how they do it to portray his thought of a journey

But remember not to ramble too much about the story and the technique, your purpose is how the techniques and language impact on the journey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)