• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Horizontal/vertical integration (1 Viewer)

KAty

Hey guys,
i was wondering if someone could explain what horizontal and vertical integration means
and also about derivatives and transfer pricing
please help me :rolleyes:

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
- Vertical integration occurs when a business expands at different but related levels in the production and marketing of a product.

When a business integrates with one of its suppliers this is referred to as backward vertical integration eg: a bakery takes over whole farm.

Forward vertical integration is when a business integrates with a firm it sells to. Eg: a bakery could merge with a supermarket chain that sells its bread.

- Horizontal integration occurs when a bus takes over or merges with another firm that makes similar products. Eg: Top Line bakery takes over or merges with Golden Crust Bakery.

-Diversification or conglomerate integration occurs when a bus takes over or merges with a bus in a completely unrelated industry eg: when a bakery merges with a furniture manufacturer.

a transfer priceis basically how much it cost to transfer goods/services among busiensses and its subsidiaries..

for stuff abt hedging/derivities check this out...

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9579

Last edited:

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
yes hmm you know with Diversification

Why would a business merge with a totally unrelated industry??

yes i know its something to do with minimising risk , but how exactly would that benefit the bs . like the example u gave a bakery merging with a furniture store ...... :eek:

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
umm just going off the top of my head.. if the market is saturated in that particular industry they might try to broaden their horizons and take a chance with a market that is lacking in whatever product they are buying.. to you know eventually make money :)

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
They can also use one to promote the other.

eg. Coles taking over Shell petrol stations, they offer discounts on petrol if you shop at Coles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)