Hoping for med (1 Viewer)

pals_2005

HSC
hey, i am doing my hsc this year but i really want to get into med. can anyone who has already got in give me a taste of what kind of uai u need, interview questions they ask, etc... PS i know that the uai has to be like over 99.5 but like whats the trends 2005. thanks people...

Kelvy

HSC
You probably already know this, but remember that the selection process is threefold - UMAT, your interview and your UAI so you don't necessarily hafta have a kickarse UAI (>99.5 or watever) if you can excel in the other two sections :)

nit

HSC
you should have done your research before asking that question. There are plenty of websites etc that can help you out, so please look at those before asking questions such as these, which are answered with 10 mins research. There's also a pinned thread in the "University-general" section that lists useful websites and gives other useful info.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Newcastle's UAI cutoff for our med program is only like 93.something...that being said, from what I hear its still damn hard to get in.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Newcastle's UAI cutoff for our med program is only like 93.something...that being said, from what I hear its still damn hard to get in.
damn interview
funny tho, i always hear, even if the cut-off is low there's always plenty of people with high uai's. hmm

Idyll

HSC
Bob.J said:
funny tho, i always hear, even if the cut-off is low there's always plenty of people with high uai's. hmm
if that is true, and they do treat the cut-off in the same way they claim to, that could have some interesting implications.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Idyll said:
if that is true, and they do treat the cut-off in the same way they claim to, that could have some interesting implications.
there are always those who just get over the cut-off as well. WIth newc however, they won't tell us anything so we'll never find out whether they prefer people with a high academic record

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
The cutoffs aren't cutoffs in the same way they are for other courses - they're the minimum UAI you need for the that uni to consider you. Of course, as well as that there's the UMAT and interview process which you need to do well in as well. As I understand it, at UNSW UAI, UMAT and interview are equally weighted (but interviews are granted on a combo of estimated UAI and UMAT) whereas at Newcastle, the interview gets the most weighting, then UMAT then UAI. (and interivews are given on basis of UMAT i think). I don't know how the other states' unis work it.
The upshot of all that is that although your UAI is important, you can't forget the other parts either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)