honours program questions =] (1 Viewer)

IAU001

HSC
sorry to add to a what is, im sure, a long list of ignorant yr12s asking stupid questions but i was having a look at the UNSW website and was reading through the section on the 'Honours Program'. it happened to be pretty vague so i thought i'd come here instead with my questions. :spin:

1) Is there a limit of the number of students that can be selected for honours? If so, how many?

2) is honours helpful in terms of job selection or post-grad study selection (the unsw site says it is but i dno how much truth there is in that =S)

3) why would u not want to get honours? (in your opinion)

thanks heaps :)

atm1991

HSC
I am also keen to hear some answers to this question! And kudos IAU001 on a good thread topic.

sunny

meh.
HSC
1) Is there a limit of the number of students that can be selected for honours? If so, how many?
Usually not.

2) is honours helpful in terms of job selection or post-grad study selection (the unsw site says it is but i dno how much truth there is in that =S)
Postgrad study, probably. Job selection, depends on the requirements of the job.

You'd be honourable :)

Think of honours as an extension to your basic bachelors. If you have it, it only works in your favour, but theres people out there that don't have it and get by fine.

IAU001

HSC
oh ok cool thanks!! one more question. i read there there was some issue with doing a combined degree and getting honours? or something like that =S is there?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i think you can choose only one major to do honours for each degree...

and its best to check whether you can do honours in that major for that degree
(e.g. Economics/Arts, you cannot do honours in psychology through that Arts combined degree).

Fermat

HSC
N/A

I think anyone with a gpa of 70+ for 200 and 300 level courses can get in, rather than a quota.

job selection - yes
post-grad - yes

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC

thanks heaps :)

The admission requirements for honours is usually enough to limit the numbers. Where there's too many students who are interested in the degree, more stringent criteria can apply. In most cases, even the most popular schools in business have around a dozen honours students at most.

Having an honours degree can only help for job selection. If anything, the degree shows that you're able to conduct a substantial project on your own, with minimal supervision and to a deadline. As for post-grad, getting a good result in your honours year should allow you to enter a PhD program (typically bypassing the need to do a masters).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)