Honours creeping up and mooting question (1 Viewer)

A12345

HSC
Hey, so just noticed that 1st class hons for sem 2 2013 & summer 2014 (how do they figure that since courses are still running?) has creeped up to 80.36%, the first time semester 2 (and I imagine this is the relevant period for the majority of the cohort) has been above 80.
Looking broadly at the results they have been trending up over time. A D average in law seems like you may only be in the top 40% now..

http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/current-students/my-academic-life/honours

Reflective of an increasingly competitive cohort? Marking standards becoming slightly more relaxed? I saw a grade distribution here before with like 3% scoring HD for contracts or something, do people generally score higher in their later electives that bumps them up a couple extra WAM points (heard of people getting 90+ for thesis), or just have to be very consistent throughout?

Any thoughts?

Also whats the deal with international moots? I read prep is done over summer so clerkship etc has to be adjusted, does that mean people apply in year 3 to prepare that summer and compete in year 4? What about the electives they recommend that wouldn't have been completed.. Or do people just not do a clerkship so they can compete? Are the moots graded?

Just some things I've been pondering over.. :)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of competitions. It really depends when you get selected to compete. Usually with international moots people just don't do clerkship. If you are looking to compete in 4th year summer, you will apply in sem 2 of 3rd year.

However, usually people get selected in their penultimate year so that clashes with clerkships. Hence most of these international competitors find arrangements with firms to do their clerkship. They typically apply to do clerkship in their final year instead of penultimate.

The International Mediation competition is a bit different. It runs only 1 week at the end of the Clerkship period. My friend who clerked at Ashurst did her clerkship over summer in the same year and then in her last week of clerkship went to compete in Paris.

If you want to do the competition, you are expected to enrol into those courses by the semester just before you compete. You need the background knowledge to be able to compete.

In terms of grading, yes it is generally graded. You submit some sort of reflective piece and that gets graded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)