• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Homosexuality in Australia (1 Viewer)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

Name_Taken

HSC
Please answer the cherry picking question name_taken! Why are christians selective about what's in the bible?
Well, I don't personally cherry pick passages out of the bible and only follow the ones convenient for me, nor do I use it as justification for my actions, removing personal responsibilities from myself.

I don't really understnad your question TBH, what "rules" do I ignore, like specifically, and with a passage reference if its possible, ty.

I've already said its impossible for someone to live a sinless life, whether they go through the Bible and right out a list of "wrongs" or not, they are destined to sin at somepoint or another. It could be because they know its wrong, but they lack the strength to resist doing it anyway, that they feel they have no choice in doing it, or that they didn't even know they shouldn't.

The big thing, is repetance, acknowledging you have sinned, asking for forgiveness (which will be granted) and then making a committment not to sin again. It doesn't mean you will have to strength to resist sinning again (whether its a similar or completely different sin) but you make the committment to resist your temptations in the future.

BlackDragon

HSC
Well, I don't personally cherry pick passages out of the bible and only follow the ones convenient for me, nor do I use it as justification for my actions, removing personal responsibilities from myself.

I don't really understnad your question TBH, what "rules" do I ignore, like specifically, and with a passage reference if its possible, ty.

I've already said its impossible for someone to live a sinless life, whether they go through the Bible and right out a list of "wrongs" or not, they are destined to sin at somepoint or another. It could be because they know its wrong, but they lack the strength to resist doing it anyway, that they feel they have no choice in doing it, or that they didn't even know they shouldn't.

The big thing, is repetance, acknowledging you have sinned, asking for forgiveness (which will be granted) and then making a committment not to sin again. It doesn't mean you will have to strength to resist sinning again (whether its a similar or completely different sin) but you make the committment to resist your temptations in the future.
You don't cherry pick? What about these? Why don't you put people to death for working on the sabath, or for being gay, or for cursing their parents? Are you for these things? Most of these are rules and not sins..

People should be put to death for cursing their parents:

Leviticus 20:9

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him."

People should be put to death for working on the sabath:

Exodus 35:2 -
"Whoever does any work on the sabath shall be put to death"

Neither blind people, nor the lame, nor hunch backs may worship god in a church

Leviticus 21:18-21
For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous...Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken; ...he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God.

Pro Slavery:

Exodus 21:7-10
"If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as menservants do.

Leviticus: 25:44-46 "
'Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Against Money Lending:

Leviticus 25:37 "You are to lend neither money at interest nor food at a profit."

Against drunkeness and over consumption:

Proverbs 23:20 "Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Isaiah 5:11f: "Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine. They have harps and lyres at their banquets, tambourines and flutes and wine, but they have no regard for the deeds of the LORD, no respect for the work of his hands."

The bible, homosexual sex, and the death penalty.

Leviticus 20:13
“ If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Most of these aren't sins, they are rules..

Last edited:

XaittyO

HSC
I have no objections to homosexuality. You like your own gender better than the other one, thats your choice and i respect that. Its not like your shoving you dick down my throat or anything, it doesnt affect me at all. As for marriage,
I believe that marriage is a union of love and mutual respect. It should not be forced to be between men and women. Who are we to question love in all respects? If ur in love, by all means, get married, i support you.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
They're all from the OT you idiot. We follow the NT and the cornerstone of the NT is Christ and the teachings of Christ.

De ya ger it now?
If followers of Christ (aka Christians) disregard the Old Testament, then why do Christians still quote Old Testament passages in reference to their opposition to homosexuality?

Still seems a lot like cherry-picking to me.

BlackDragon

HSC
If followers of Christ (aka Christians) disregard the Old Testament, then why do Christians still quote Old Testament passages in reference to their opposition to homosexuality?

Still seems a lot like cherry-picking to me.
Yes. And beside both texts are used to formulate your faith. You can't just brush off one book when it is convenient. And to do so would be to disregard the biblical definition of creation. You can't have it both ways.

De ya ger it now?

allzy

HSC
Originally Posted by Name_Taken
If you wish to assert that I am a hypocrite, it just demonstrates your ignorace of everything we have been telling you. I am a sinner as are you. The difference is I try and resist my temptations to sin and don't take pride in myself when I fail.

Sorry if I am repeating this, but it's obvious that it isn't getting into your head.

You try to resist your temptations? Like wearing mixed cloth, working on the Sabbath and drinking in excess? I really fucking doubt it.

THAT is why people are trying to assert that you are a hypocrite, as you seemingly haven't noticed.

And you are doubly a hypocrite for accusing others of their "ignorance of everything you've been telling them", however you are unable to realise what they are saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackDragon

HSC
So this cherry-picking - disregarding parts of your text as untrue. And can you even give me examples of the extent to which christ refuted laws against working on the sabath and cursing against ones parents?

XaittyO

HSC
Read my post above.
but isnt this cherry pickin? Only takin the parts out of OT and NT that are convenient to you? I mean you might as well write another bible and just call it the NNT or something, cos thats all your doing.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Not at all sir.

We cherry-pick those parts which Christ has not ammended during his ministry. For instance, Christ did not instruct women to enter the ministy so we stick with the OT. Obciously Christ did not want it changed, otherwise he would have specified it to us.

Da ya ger it now?
Jesus did not specifically address rape. Does that mean you agree with the Old Testament passage that states that a unmarried woman who is raped should be forced to marry her rapist?

BlackDragon

HSC
We don't take what is convinient. We adhere to what Christ has instructed us and we don't deviate from the OT in regards to what Christ hasn't instructed.
And yet christ hasn't refuted the death penalty for the sabath or for cursing your parents. Or at least you have no proof he did. Why don't you follow these rules? Back yourself up. How exactly did he refute these rules?

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC

Oh you're just skipping around his question. You sly dog.:spin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)