• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

homeostasis - metabolism (1 Viewer)

lastchance

HSC
HELP NEEDED!! homeostasis - metabolism

hey people, does anyone know how metabolism affects homeostasis??

as in.. when an organism wants to keep warm does is increase or decrease metabolism..
and the same ques with keeping cool.

if anyone can help please reply!

thanks heaps!

Last edited:

dalillebpwinces

HSC
N/A
im not sure if this is gunna help coz i didnt reali understand wat u were aksin 4 but here goes... :)

You know all enzymes work best at optimum conditions right....daaa
Therefore cells needed to maintain an optimum environment for their enzymes to work. Multicellular organisms function best at optimum metabolic efficiency, if their internal environment provided for their cells is maintained at a constant level. Therfore multicellular organisms regulate their internal environment in order to remain healthy. They do this by monitering all the activities of their cells, their requirements, and the waste they produce using FEEDBACK SYSTEMS. the organism as a whole, coordinates the surroundings of its cells to ensure that the composition of the internal body fluid remains within the required limits.
Example:if the enviroment eg.(da temp,PH&substrate concentration)
^ thse 3 are factrs affectin enzyme action.
does not remain constant, then the RATE of enzyme catalysed reactions decreases.
AND
Homeostasis is the process by which organisms maintain a relatively constant or stable internal environment for body cells.
Example: Endotherms maintain a constant body temp. of 37deg. C
E.G.2: an increase in levels of sugar, insulin is produced to store the excess glucose as GLYCOGYN and bring the sugar levels back down to what they were normally.:eek:
i hope that helps
n anyone who finds anythin wrong wid it plzzz tell me so i can correct my notes :) thx pplz

zingerburger

HSC
An organism will increase metabolism in order to keep warm because this requires energy (converting fats and sugars), which can be converted to heat.

dungde

HSC
to cha bon bay khong tra loi what is negative feedback

lastchance

HSC
oh ok thanks, zingerburger that makes sense. i tried studying and the more i studied the more i didin't understand when i had previously understood it.. if THAT made sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)